Let's Talk...Pt 3

[Amber]

"What do you mean? Define everything. Like everything everything? Or just a little bit everything?", I asked nervously.

"Just whateva ya' feel comfortable tellin' me Mama. Just like how you were wit me.", he chuckled.

"O-okay.", I stammered.

"You ready?", he asked.

"Yeah. I guess.", I sat up, slightly from laying down.

"Wait. Hol' up." He got up from the couch & ran upstairs. When he returned, he sat down & sat up with his back straight.

"What are you doing?", I asked, trying not to laugh.

"I'm bein' like you.", he shrugged.

"I do not sit like that.", I giggled.

"Yes ya' do. Titties be pushed up ova ya' knees & shit. Like girl dem thangs ain't goin' no whea!"

"Shut up. & for your information Mr. August, my sitting posture is very professional & prevents any back injuries.", I pointed out.

"Yeah yeah. Whateva.", he waved me off. He reached behind him & put on some big framed glasses that all the teenagers wear.

"Why are you wearing those?"

"These ma intelligent glasses. Na don't question me hea?", he pointed his finger at me while peeping over his glasses like old people do with their reading glasses. 

I held in my laugh & just nodded my head.

He flipped his hat around a couple times, fluffed the couch pillows for like 3 minutes, & he kept moving around trying to find a comfortable position. After what felt like 2 hours, he finally sat still. He's so ignorant.

"Aight, I'm ready."

"Um. My full name is Amber Aniyah Combs. I'm 20. My birthday is May 14th. & I'm not from here.", I finished up quickly, hoping he didn't ask for anymore information but I know that he will.

"Whea you from?", he asked.

"I was hoping you didn't ask that. I'm from New Orleans, Louisiana.", I said quietly but loud enough that he could hear me.

"Word? How come you ain't tell me dat when we first started?", he asked with furrowed eyebrows.

"I don't like to talk about it. Hopefully you'll understand after I explain.", I looked up at him. He nodded his head, telling me to continue. "I was born in New Orleans. My parents called me their 'miracle child' because they've been together since high school & my Mama suffered a lot of miscarriages & they were finally blessed with me. I was the only child & I was spoiled rotten. When I mean rotten, I mean rotten & I still am a little bit. My family was perfect. Like normal families we have arguments & fights but we NEVER left the room without talking things out completely. My Daddy was always in between jobs & my Mama worked 2 jobs as a cafe waitress & a housekeeper. We weren't the richest people but they did what they had to do to put food on the table, ya know?", I explained to him.

He nodded his head then asked, "How long it's been since you been dea?"

"I have no idea. I have no reason to go back.", I said with no emotion.

"You don't wanna go visit ya' fam?", he asked confused.

I sighed & shook my head. "I had just turned 12 when Hurricane Katrina hit. My Mama & I evacuated up here to stay with my grandparents, MeeMee & PawPaw. My Daddy was still in New Orleans at the time but he called us & tole us he was coming, that he was going to be with us in a few days. But he didn't he never showed up. Nobody did. Gone. They were all gone. My entire family. All my cousins, aunts, uncles, everybody died during the hurricane. My grandparents, Mama & I took us back to New Orleans once the storm was over with so we could search for my Daddy because in my mind he was still alive. He was still somewhere. We searched the entire city but we couldn't find him. All we found was my Auntie Phylicia house with her body in it along with her kids. They were only 6,7 & 11. He was my everything. My Daddy was my heart & now he's gone. He took me everywhere. A week before he died, he took me to some carnival that was like an hour away from New Orleans. That was the best day of my life. We laughed, he won me prizes & we ate a lot of junk food knowing that my Mama would be pissed but we didn't care. Before we left he went to the last station we didn't go to which was the station where you had to knock down the milk bottles with 3 baseball bats. He looked at me & asked, "Alright Princess, which one you want?". I picked out the cutest teddy bear. My Daddy knocked down all the milk bottles & I added my teddy bear to the collection of prizes that I had won. Mama gave us hell when we got home. That bear is the only thing I have left to remember my Daddy by. All the other prizes were drowned & flushed away.", I told with my eyes closed as tears silently rolled down my face.

I felt something warm against me. I opened my eyes & saw him caressing my arm to comfort me.

"That's why you was holdin' it like that the otha night?", he asked softly. I sniffed & nodded my head. "What about your Ma Dukes?"

"A year later, I was coming home from school. Normally when I got home, it was almost time for her to go to wake so soon as I walk in she'll be walking out but it was different that day. It was quiet. I called for her almost 20 times. I searched all the rooms except hers. When I walked in, I saw her foot hanging out the bathroom doorway into the bedroom. She had slit her wrist & she bled to death. She laid in the blood for probably hours. After he death, moved in with my grandparents & I hated it. I wanted my Mama & Daddy but they were gone. I wanted to listen to some of my Uncles argue & crack joke, hear my little cousin running & playing but I can't. They're all gone. I have nobody. I'm all alone!", I sobbed quietly in my hands.

I was lifted up & arms were wrapped around me tightly. I had then realized that I was on August's lap.

"That's not true mama. You got me, aight? I'm hea fa ya.", August whispered in my ear. He kissed my forehead repeatedly.

It's been 8 years since the death of my family & this is the first time I've ever spoken to anybody about it. & I'm glad I spoke to somebody about it especially August. It's nice to meet somebody whose experienced the same as you.