"CAGED" Chapter 6

“Honey, you’re so thin, I told you to take care of yourself when I’m not around and always eat at the right time.” Mom gently said almost in whisper as she lay down in the hospital bed.

I look at her face which seems to slump down emphasizing her fragile bones.

I’ll tell you a secret. My mom here is actually not my biological mother. Why? She adopted me when she found out that my real mother who happens to be her husband’s mistress died from giving birth to me. Out of her kindness, she adopted me wholeheartedly. They did not keep my adoption a secret from me because one day I will surely find it out. She is a very kind hearted lady and she taught me how to be kind just like her.

 3 years later she gave birth to drake, their first biological baby and my step brother. Unfortunately, father died in a car accident when I was 10 and drake was almost 7, leaving the 3 of us behind. Mother did not complain in acquiring all the responsibility my dad left. She always does her best to provide me and Drake material and psychological needs. But last year, her body couldn’t take it any longer.

 We found out she has first stage leukemia, I couldn’t believe it at first either. Why her? Why my kind mom? There are so many people in this world who much more deserve that kind of disease, why her? She stop working due to her health is declining and here she is now lying in the hospital bed still clinging unto life. I know she won’t let the disease eat her, she is the only family me and Drake all have. Anyway, good thing I was almost at the right age to find a job after I graduated. The work at the hotel is my first job. The pay is not so big but it’s better than nothing, besides I get to help my mom pay some of the hospital bills.

Right now, I am doing my very best to help my Mom in any way that I could just like what she did for the past years. I am planning to find a second job that won’t conflict the work schedule I have in the hotel, I only have night duty so I have to find a job that is for the morning. But I won’t mention it to her, she might not agree, I don’t want her to worry. I love my mom so much I’ll do anything for her, she is the most gentle person I have ever met. I must pay back all the kindness she has shown to me even though I’m not blood related to her and more importantly a product of a forbidden sin in the society.

Drake and mom is the only family I have left.

“Honey? Answer me dear. You’re day dreaming again?”  She brushes the back of her palm on my right cheek while smiling.

“Huh?” Yeah, sometimes my head wonder off somewhere I don’t even know. It’s a habit.

“I said, you’re thinner than the last time I saw you. You’re not eating right, aren’t you?”

“Of course not mom, I am properly eating. I promised you that right?” I pulled her hands that is on my cheek and held it tight with both of my hands.

“You better be, once I get to get out of here I’ll make it up to you and Drake” I followed her gaze as she turn her head and landed on the long couch near the wall. Drake is curled up on it and is silently sleeping, Drake, you Sleepy head.

“Mom, you don’t have to. What you should think about and focus on is to get better soon okay? Our house is very lonely without your ranting and loud voice, especially early in the morning.”  I smiled naughtily.

She laughed along with me.

“Oh, honey, make sure Drake goes to school properly okay? I’m counting on you.”