Struggle #7

After my horrible contest lost, I tried to occupy my time by doing summer activities like going to the water park, hanging downtown with Jayla and Trayvon, working on my summer reading and having sleepovers.

Right now it's Friday and I'm at the beach with my parents, Kyle and Jayla's parents. We're visiting my grandparents beach house for the week so that means fun in the sun whenever we want.

"Kyle if you keep putting sand in your pants you're gonna get a rash." I tell him.

He shoots me a glare, "You do your thing and I'll do mine. Alright?"

I roll my eyes and shrug before laying on my stomach on my beach towel. Jayla comes over, sopping wet and sits down next to me. "Yo, its so hot the sand burned my feet." She complains, pulling her feet into her lap and examining the pink bottoms. I cringe imagining her stinging flesh, she sighs. "What time is it?"

I dig my phone out of my beach bag and press the button to light up the screen. "It's 4:30, we have two hours until MB on 106 comes on."

"Sounds good, what should we do now?" She asks, scrolling through her phone. I shrug, and dig through the sand, picking up some of the seashells I find.

A few minutes later our parents walk over. Jayla's mom flashes us a smile and Jayla groans. "Brace yourself, she's about to ask us to do somethin."

Sure enough her mom speaks up, "Since we gave birth to y'all we need you to return the favor."

Jayla sucks her teeth, "What I tell you?"

I laugh, "What do you guys need?"

"We want some ice cream from McDonalds." My dad replies, "One m&m mcflurry, one caramel sundae and two Oreo mcflurries."

"What's wrong with the snack shack right there?" I ask, pointing down the beach.

"They don't have Mcflurries." My mother responds. "Take Kyle with you."

I groan loudly as they hand us money. Jayla follows suit as she throws on her swim suit cover up and I pull on my t-shirt with shorts. "Kyle lets go!" I yell at him. He runs over to us, pulling on his flip flops as we start walking away towards the parking lot. I can hear him panting as he tries to catch up.

The 30 minute walk to McDonalds was easy, other than Kyle stopping every other second shake sand out his pants and shoes. He's such a tourist, he takes pictures of the stupidest things. He acts like we're in a different state or even a different country. I'm still wondering why my parents didn't stop at one child.

We walk into McDonalds and stand in the long line. Jayla nudges me hard in the side, her head tilted towards the door of the play skate where a group of five boys are standing. She bobs her eyebrows and I scoff. "Jay you have a boyfriend."

"Not for me dummy, I meant for you. You need a boyfriend to hang around with and take your mind off of the contest." Jayla says, smiling sweetly to one of the boys looking in our direction. I wipe my glasses to clear the smudges before turning and really looking at them. Jayla sighs, "You just looked like a geek, don't so that again."

"I'm sorry for having smudged glasses..." I say confused. Jayla rolls her eyes and takes out her phone as the line inches closer.

Once we finally order our ice cream we stand to the side and wait for it to be given to us. Jayla continuously tries to convince me to go talk to the boys but I shake my head in refusal. Im not interested in any of the boys around here, especially these high school ones. College boys are way more experience and mature than these hormone crazed freaks.

The cashier hands Jayla and I the ice cream and we head for the door.

"I dont need a boyfriend Jay so chill. " I tell her, ignoring the teeth sucking that comes after it.

"You mean if the boy ain't Princeton you're not interested, right?" Kyle says laughing, "Princeton don't even know you!" He shouts loudly. A blush creeps across my face and I use my free hand to push Kyle hard. He flies across the floor, right into one of the boys. The lid of his soda pops open, his drink splashing all over his polo shirt.

"Oh my God, I'm so sorry!" I exclaim to him. This is like a repeat of the party.

The boy looks up to me with his dark green eyes, "I'm fine but I think your brother is a little hurt." He says, stretching out his hand to help Kyle up. Kyle raises to his feet, shooting me an evil look as he does so. The boy nods at him before looking back at me, "I think that push is considered bullying though."

My throat goes dry. He probably thinks I'm a child abuser or something. "No i didn't meant to push him that hard I was just---"

The boy laughs again, "Chill ma, I'm just playin with you." His gaze drops to Kyle again. "Don't make her mad again, I don't wanna see you get hurt for real."

"Alright," Kyle beams up at him with a toothy grin. The boy nods before walking away from us and over to the napkins. He begins dabbing his shirt while his boys crack up. I quickly spin around and fly out of the restaurant with my cheeks burning.

Jayla and Kyle catch up to me and I speak for she does, "Don't even go there Jayla, I don't need a boyfriend. Him speaking a few sentences to me means nothing so don't go crazy."

She chuckles beside me. "You know me so well."

Later while we're watching 106 and Park, my grandma comes in and sits on the couch beside me. "Is this the famous boy band I hear so much about. What are they called? Mindless Direction?" she asks.

Jayla and I crack up, "No grandma, that's Mindless Behavior. One Direction is white and British."

"My bad. Hey that one has an Afro like your grandad did back in the day. Oh my goodness he was a sexy thing with all that hair." She says, fanning her face like she's having a hot flash.

Jayla makes a grossed out face before putting down the bowl of chips she was eating. "Grandma you are too much." She says.

My grandmother laughs, "Y'all should be the last ones talking, glued to the tv like some couch potatoes."

I giggle to myself. That's the life of a fangirl.

The number three song, Somebody Else by Mario ends and MB, Jacob Latimore and the girls that won the competition start talking to Bow Wow. I analyze each girl closely.

I have to admit, they're all really pretty and unique. I now see why they were chosen, with their individual style and creative taste in fashion they look like the girl version of Mindless Behavior.

Bow hands Prince the mic. "Alright now, we have a little problem with our competition ladies and gents. One of our winners won't be able to come on tour with us do to some family trips. Now of course family is an important value but that means we have to pick a new winner for our contest."

The audience immediately begins screaming and clapping in excitement. Jayla and I exchange a look as Roc takes the mic. "We picked the winner this morning and we're gonna call her right now from the studio."

"So yall better take your phones out cuz the winner could be right here in the room." Angela says, everyone immediately starts whipping out their phones and screaming excitedly.

Bow laughs, "Aye aye aye, y'all calm down. Look, we bout to call the winner right now so if your phone rings you better answer that right now for your chance to come on tour with Mindless Behavior. Aight, call the lucky girl up."

The studio fills with the sound of a phone ringing and you can practically tell that everyone is holding their breath in anticipation.

"I wonder who the lucky girl is this time." I say, rolling my eyes. Jayla shrugs and takes a sip of her iced tea.

As Bow Wow paces back and forth, my phone begins to buzz with a call. I glance at my screen to see an unknown number. Just as Im about to answer, my mother walks into the room. "Kacey...you have a letter."

I think that's when my heart stops completely.

**
CLIFF HANGERRRRR!
COMMENT COMMENT COMMENT!!!

Sorry for errors ._.