Struggle #2

"Kacey there's only one problem about you entering this contest." Jayla says once we walk into my bedroom. I slip off my shoes and toss them into my closet. Jayla plops down on my bed, "I love you and everything but when it comes to putting together outfits you're not the most creative person."

   I turn to look in the mirror at my outfit. Purple and pink polo with ripped capris and my purple vans. I tilt my head to the ground, "what's wrong with what I'm wearing?" I ask.

  "No offense Kacey, but you're supposed to be designing clothes for Mindless Behavior, not some average boy on the streets. And you know how MB is, they're all about individuality and creativity. You have to think...mindlessly." Jayla says coming to stand next to me in the mirror.

   I look over at her outfit. White shorts, navy and white striped tank top with gold flats. She looks like a cute little sailor girl on her way to her ship. Jayla has been my best friend since 6th grade when we entered middle school together. She's my fashionable, beautiful, quirky, laid back, athletic other half. She may be short but her temper is even shorter. And shes one of those girls who are calm and collected when they have to be when the time comes she'll curse you out and have you in tears in no time. Jayla's the only person in school who doesn't think I'm weird because of my so called obsession with Mindless Behavior. She herself is obsessed with Diggy, the girl has gone to more meet and greets and CD signings than I can count.  

 "Jayla!" I exclaim, grabbing her by her shoulders. Her brown eyes widen in surprise. "Help me come up with an amazing outfit please!"

   She rolls her eyes, "I thought you were supposed to come up with something on your own."

 "Everyone needs a little help." I point out, jutting my lower lip and batting my eyelashes. "pwease Jaylaaaa."  

 "Fine," she sighs. "But you're buying me ice cream."  

 I squeal and grab her in a tight hug. "Alright, I'll get my notepad and we can head over to the mall and get some Dairy Queen."

 "I want Reeses flavored." Jayla demands.

 "Um hello, peanut allergy. Are you trying to kill me?"

 Jayla chuckles and shakes her head no, "Fine I'll get something else."

 I roll my eyes playfully at her, "While we sit we scope out some cute boyish clothes for ideas." 

"Sounds good to me, hey can I sleep over?" Jayla asks.  

 "Let me ask my mom first." I tell her. She nods and plops down on my bed again and turns on the tv. I leave out my room and race down the stairs towards the kitchen. My mother is cooking up something as usual. She has her own catering buisness so she's constantly trying new recipes and cooking up some kind of special foods for us to try. Me and my little brother Kyle are basically her test subjects while my dad works all day at his office. He's a lawyer.

   I climb onto the kitchen's island and glance at the cookbook my mom is peering at her. Her glasses slip down her nose as she stares the recipes intently. I have to clear my throat twice just to get her to look up. She finally notices me and flashes a smile, "Hey sweetie, how does it feel to be school free?"

   "Like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders." I say happily, flinging my arms in the air to exaggerate my point. She chuckles before turning back to her cook book. "Hey can Jayla sleep over? We have something to work on."

   My mother raises her eyebrows, "Like a project? School just let out and you're starting your summer project already?"

   "Yeah right," I respond. "I'm entering a clothing design contest to go on tour with mindless behavior."  

 At this my mother freezes and looks up at me, her dark brown eyes boring into me with an exasperated expression. "Another contest? Kacey we talked about this." She says. I open my mouth to speak but she continues, "You've entered so many contest with high hopes and you always end up heart broken in the end. No offense but there's a one in a million chance of you winning this contest."  

 "No mom there's a four in a million chance because there's four costume changes." I explain quickly.

   "Kacey..." She sighs and glances at her food on the stove before putting her palms against my cheeks. "I just wish you wouldn't get so wrapped up in this boy. You're just another fan Kacey. And say you do go on this tour, what do you think will happen? That he'll fall in love with you just because you designed his costume?" She asks. I tear my eyes away from her, her words hurt and I know she's just tryingto be real with me but I just wish she'd encourage me instead of bash my dreams. "I'm not saying this to be mean, I just dont want you chasing after some celebrity your whole life. This isn't a movie Kacey and I don't want to see you get hurt."

   I chuckle, trying not to let her see that she hurt me. "Why can't I at least try? Isn't that what dad always says? Keep trying till you win the case?"  

 "He's a lawyer."

 "Well I'm a lawyers daughter." I snap back. "I have just a great a chance as everyother fangirl out there."  

 My mother purses her lips and runs her fingers through her jet black bob, "Fine, I'll make you a deal."  

 My posture straightens immediatly and my ears perk up, my mother puts a hand on my thigh. "If you don't win this contest, you have to promise to take a break from Mindless Behavior. That means staying off twitter, tumblr, instagram and their website. You need to live your life outside of their fanbase because at the end of the day, they're still big stars and you have a future to think about. You're going to be a sophmore, you need to start looking at colleges." Her eyes are stern as she speaks to me. "Can you do that for me Kacey?"

   I nod and she looks at me doubtfully before holding up her slender pinky, "Promise?"  

 I hesitate because even though it may be childish, we dont break promises around here. I nodand wrap my pinky around hers, "I promise."  

 "Good," She squeezes my pinky as I climb down from the island. I look around the kitchen in thought, "Where's the little booger?"  

 "You better stop calling your brother that." Mom snaps at me. "He went over Aunt Caren's house for a little while to hang with Dylan. He'll be back later."  

 I groan, "Can't he stay over there for the night? He's always in my room when Jayla sleeps over, he swears she likes him."  

 My mother laughs but little did she know I was completely seriously. "Me and Jayla are gonna head to the mall to get some ideas."

   "Are you asking me or telling me?" My mother asks, rolling her neck with much atittude. See my mom can be all sweet and caring when she wants to be, but talk to her the wrong will and it's like she went to hell and back.

   "Asking," I answer.    "Mhm, that's what I thought. Be back here by 7:30. Dinner should be done by then." She says. I nod and jog up the stairs and into my room. Jayla is stretched out across my bed watching an episode of Victorious.

   "My mom said it's cool for you to sleep over. And if we leave now we can catch the bus to the mall." I tell her.  

 She rolls off the bed and slips her shoes on. "This may actually be fun, if you meet MB you can steal one of their phones and send me Diggy's number."  

 "Why don't you just enter the competition with me, then we both might win." I ask her.

   "I love you Kacey, but being on tour all summer with four other girls like you isn't something I can handle. All the screaming, squealing and non stop gushing would give me headache. I'd probably jump off the tour bus if I had to." She admits before turning on her heel and walking out my room.  

 I laugh and follow my best friend, this is why I love her. People who are honest and can keep it real with you is worth having around.

 **

COMMENT. VOTE. SUBSCRIBE. ENJOY ^___^

Follow me on tumblrhttp://crown-mee-queen.tumblr.com/