Chapter 31

After a long conversation with Liam, Niall and Harry, Zayn gets up and leaves the living room. He heads to the patio door to get outside. 

It’s the evening. It’s warm and the wind blows slightly on his face. The sky is blue and the sun shines on the beautiful green trees of the spacious backyard. 

Zayn goes forward slowly and looks both side of the backyard. He stops, take a deep breathe and turns to the right. 

Zayn sits down next to the chair Louis is already taking. He has been in the backyard for the whole morning. Louis woke up in a really bad shape this morning. 

Yesterday, all five of the boys went at the hospital all day long to see Cassandra. They answered the doctors’ questions about her suicidal intentions and everything. Louis was still in shock and the boys even heard him cry during the night. 

- You okay? Zayn asks as Louis stares at the green trees at the back of the yard, his chin resting on his fist and his eyes all wet. 
- I could be better, actually, Louis answers with a rusty voice, revealing he has been crying earlier. Zayn, I understand anything! All I know is that it’s all my fault that Cassandra tried to commit suicide! It’s my fault! 
- Louis, Zayn quietly says with a serene voice. It’s not your fault at all. It’s the ghost’s fault.
- Exactly, Louis exclaims, tearing his eyes off of the trees and staring at the brown of Zayn’s eyes. Why didn’t she simply tell me about it earlier? She could’ve told me he frightened her and what wasn’t going right! I would’ve done everything in my power to help her! She’s my girlfriend after all… We trust each other, don’t we? 
- In this case, Zayn explains, still with this serene voice, this voice without any tension, just calm. It wasn’t a question of “trust”. Louis, Cassandra was terrified to tell you everything. She thought that if she told you the truth, you’d think she’s crazy or worst, reject her… You mean so much to Cassandra and we even do mean a lot to her so she was dead scared to the thought she could lose us. 
- Really? Louis says, his throat tightened. 
- Yeah, really! Zayn replies. And you know that it’s this ghost that ranscaked her house and that made her lose her job. He made her life a living hell, she was seeing a therapist but he couldn’t help her. The only one that helped her didn’t believe her at first. He friend, Tanvir, she found her information to stop the ghost. I helped Cassandra too, we tried everything to stop it, we found a way to stop him forever but it was a hard decision. It’s normal she cracked under pressure. She was terrified of this whole adventure. Cassandra lived in a small house in the Liverpool and that’s where everything started. The ghost used you to get Cassandra, because you are her boyfriend. He was ready for everything. The groom was possessing your body. That’s why you weren’t remembering anything and that you were so sick. You were punching and yelling so hard at Cassandra. You fought with me and you almost killed Harry… We didn’t want to tell you everything the groom was making you do because we didn’t want to traumatize you. And I’m sorry to tell you this one like this… but he also used you to… to rape Cassandra. 
- You’re not serious?! Louis exclaims, abruptly turning his eyes from the trees he had just started to re contemplate. He made me do… this??!! We have to stop him! I can’t keep on torturing Cassandra and you boys like this… I promised her we’d stop this ghost and I keep my promises. I want to stop that groom. What do we have to do? 

Zayn nods his head with a satisfied look and smiling quietly, feeling the fresh wind making his hair blow a bit. 

- Louis, first you have to understand that we really don’t know what to expect, Zayn explains, now adopting a very serious tone. There could be serious complications. I talked about it with Cassandra and Tanvir a few days ago and it’s the only way. I talked about it again with Liam, Niall and Harry and we’re all ready to take the risk. Only, for the operation, the most important role would be to… you. 
- Keep talking, Louis says, keen to know what to do. 
- Well, Zayn continues, frowning his eyebrows this time. The only way to get rid of Alexus, a.k.a the groom ghost, is to marry him to Maria. Alexus is convinced Maria is Cassandra. He wants to marry Cassansra. So, since he uses your body to get near her, we have to make him possess you and create up a fake wedding. But it has to be credible enough. The dress, the tux, the rings and everything… The ghost will think it’s a real one, so he’s going to leave the living world forever. 
- So all I have to do is let myself be possessed? Louis asks. 
- Basically, Zayn says. But it’s this part we’re not really sure about. We don’t know if he’s going to quit after or if he’s going to take possession of your body forever… 

Long silence. Louis doesn’t wish everything to degenerate… But he wants to try to set everyone free. 

- I still want to do it, Louis says, looking back at the lovely trees.
- You’re sure? Zayn ponders.
- 100% sure, he replies. Cassandra means the world to me and her smile and happiness complete me. It’s what I have to do to make her happy so I’m doing it. I also want to apologize to lead her to this point two days ago… I want to apologize for everything I’ve inflicted her, Zayn, I have an idea. I’d like it a lot to become reality. 

Louis leans over Zayn’s ear and whispers his idea. Zayn smiles widely and nods in approval. 

***

I’m lying in my hospital bed and I’m staring with a disgusted face at the ugly sick green wall in front of me. The wires connected to me are exasperate me and all I want is to tear them off and to run away to see Louis.

There’s nothing in the room. It’s a room for suicidal people. Like me. There’s literally nothing in this room not even furniture. Maybe except from my bed and the heart-rate monitor. It’s so depressing. But I don’t want to try again anyway. 

Louis saved me, along with the boys, I mean a lot to him. I love Louis so much. My heart beats my faster and I get all warm when I think about him. I only want to see him. Just let me see him!! 

Yesterday, I was asleep all day long and when I woke up, there was a letter from Zayn saying h’d tell Louis about the wedding thing. 

Finally. I hope he’s going to be in… 

Somebody knocks on the door and I sigh deeply because it’s probably the nurse again to give me my antidepressants drugs. 

But a wave of relief and joy when I see not the nurse but One Direction get into my room. They all came to see me! 

They salute me and Niall starts to talk. 

- Louis accepted, he announces.
- Seriously!?! I exclaim, moving my legs of excitement. Oh my God, Louis, I love you so much!

Louis walks to me and kisses me gently. 

- I’m ready to take the risks for you, beautiful, Louis says, smiling. 
- We’re going to prepare everything in two days, when you’ll be out of the hospital, Liam says. 
- Perfect, I reply, happy of the plot twist. 
- Oh, last thing, Zayn says, LOOKING AT Louis from the corner of his eye. We need Tanvir’s phone number. Do you have it? 
- Tanvir? I repeat, confused. What is she doing in this?
- Just one more person to help us, Harry says with a sly smile. 
- Okay… 

I give them the number and they note it. Louis kisses me again before leaving with the boys, smiling from ear to ear.