Chapter 14

It’s about midnight and Louis is lying in his bed, his eyes wide opened. All of the boys are already sleeping, but Louis just can’t close his eyes. He can’t stop thinking about Cassandra. 

Every time he sees her, he falls even more for her. As they were eating their ice cream at the park, Louis found out she’s very glad he chose her at the Suzanne Show. Plus, tonight during dinner, she was getting on really well with the other boys and she felt very comfortable.

She was funny, realistic, and she was down to earth. Even after all that happened with her house and everything, she stays really calm and still has her reason, she doesn’t really ask for help to the boys, she doesn’t want to bother them with her problems. 

Louis is sure she shouldn’t act like this in such conditions. If the boys and he can do something to help her, he would do it without hesitation. But he doesn’t want to do impose himself too much to not offend Cassandra.

Louis is still kind of sad he couldn’t take her hand during their walk. Maybe she wasn’t ready for this? Louis really wants to know if she has something over him like he has something over her.

He really wants to become more than friends with her. He gives himself to find out her feelings as a mission.

Cassandra felt really embarrassed when Louis entered the room and that she was only wearing her bra. He understands her, but he kind of like this…

Louis turns in his bed to forget what he just thought.

- Come on, Lou… he whispers to himself feeling a bit guilty for thinking like that.

Louis tries to close his eyes and to fall asleep. Rain is falling hard against his window, which relaxes him a bit.

He finally manages to get some sleep. Suddenly, he’s awakening by the sound of something coming from downstairs. He looks at the clock and it’s 1am. He waits for a minute to see if the sound will start again but no. Louis falls back on his pillow and closes his eyes. 

Few minutes after, the same sound rings again but louder. Louis straightens up on the bed and realizes what this noise is. Someone is knocking on the door. “But who can visit us at this hour?” he thinks. 

Louis jumps out of bed and goes down the stairs while yawning. The person knocks harder.

- Yes, yes, I’m coming… Louis says with a tired voice.
Louis walks slowly to the door then turn the doorknob. What he sees overwhelms him.

- Cassandra?!
Cassandra is standing in the doorway, wet from head to toes, shivering violently. Louis can even detect in her eyes that she had been crying. She seems really sick. 

- What are you doing outside in such weather! Louis exclaims. Come one, get i! What’s going on?
Cassandra doesn’t answer. She just slowly gets in the house, her clothes trickling on the floor. 

She lifts up her head to Louis with a pity face before throwing herself in his arms. 

- I l-lost my job! Cassandra stutters as she sobs loudly and hugs Louis harder. My j-journey at the hotel is over, my c-car is out of g-gas and my phone is d-dead… I d-don’t have money l-left and I have no p-place t-to sleep… I walked here f-from the hotel… I’m s-screwed, I have nothing l-left…
Cassandra is sobbing hardly and she’s shaking violently. Louis hugs her tighter. 

- Oh my God, Cassandra it’s horrible! Louis says with a panicked voice while releasing her. Come on we’ll warm you, you’re freezing to bones!
Indeed, Cassandra’s lips had turned blue. She continues to shiver and she has a hallow cough. 

- Stay here, I’m going to get the boys, Louis says. 
Louis runs upstairs to wake the boys up so they can help him.

- LIAM! HARRY! NIALL! ZAYN! WAKE UP! He screams getting into each room, shaking the boys to wake them up.
- What’s going on? Liam asks, following Louis into Zayn’s room.
- It’s 1am, Harry says, entering the room in turn. What’s wrong?
Niall also gets in, yawning.

- ZAYN WAKE UP YOU LAZY PRICK!
- Louis, calm down! Liam says, noticing panic in Louis’ eyes. Explain yourself!
- Cassandra just got home! Louis explains, breatheless. She walked miles under the rain and she’s freezing to bones and she’s sick! Help me, we have to warm her before she gets hypothermia! ZAYN WAKE THE FUCK UP OH MY GOD!
- Calm down…
- Come on we have to do something right now!
They all go down the stairs to get to Cassandra who’s still shivering and coughing. 

The boys are automatically worried when they see her. 

- Liam, go get her warm and dry clothes in my drawer, Louis instructs while making Cassandra sit on the sofa. Harry get her a hot chocolate, Zayn go get a warm blanket. Niall, be nice and get her some medicine. 

The boys do what Louis tell them as Cassandra starts to cry again on the sofa. Louis tried to calm her down but nothing works. Finally, Liam arrives with my sweatpants and a hoodie. 

Louis convinces Cassandra to get rid of her cold and wet clothes to put on the dry and warm ones. 

Zayn comes back with a blanket and Louis wraps Cassandra in it as teeth are chattering. Niall gives the medicine to Louis and make her take them. She can’t do a thing. She’s frozen and can’t move. Her hands, her feet and her lips are blue, her teeth are chattering uncontrollably and she’s coughing a lot. Get keeps getting chills.

Cassandra is appalled for now; she can’t do a thing except for crying like a baby right now.

Harry finally arrives with the hot chocolate. He sits on the other sofa as Louis hugs Cassandra against him to transmit her a bit of human warmth.

- Everything is going to be alright… Louis whispers as he rubs her back. Calm back a bit and explain what about, Cass.
- I l-lost my job… Cassandra explains between few sobs and few chills. I don’t have money l-left, p-place to spend the n-night… I have n-nothing… I c-came here walking under the r-rain because you g-guys were m-my l-last hope…
She cried harder and Louis hugs her tighter. 

- I’m s-sorry to come at s-such an hour… she adds. I c-could’ve t-tell you before… I’m l-leaving d-don’t worry…
- Listen to me, Cassandra, Louis says. You need help and we can’t leave you alone like this. You’re going to stay here as long as you need to get back on your feet. Right, boys?
He looks at Liam, Harry, Zayn and Niall. 

- Sure, Harry accepts. We surely can’t let one of our biggest fans in such a misery!
- I agree, Liam says. We’ll do our best to help you.
- Same for me, Niall and Zayn say at the same time.
- See? Louis says rubbing Cassandra’s frozen body. We’re here to help you. You won’t be able to get out of this yourself, this time. You need us.
- We’re here for you, Liam continues.
Niall, Zayn and Harry nod in approval. 

- Thank you b-boys… Cassandra stutters, trying to show a smile. I l-love you so m-much… You are f-fantastic…
- It’s late now, Louis says. You have to sleep, okay? Come one, I’ll install you in my bed. Harry, can you take her bag and bring it upstairs?
- L-Louis, no, I’ll sleep on the c-couch…
- No, Louis strictly refuses. You have to come back to your normal body temperature and you need to be comfortable. I’ll take the couch. 
Before Cassandra can add something, Louis takes her in his arms and climbs up the stairs. 

He puts her under the sheet of his own bed. He wipes away the tears on her face and kisses her cold forehead. 

- You’ll be alright, he whispers to relax and cheer her up a bit. Sleep well. 
Louis gets up and steps to the door.

- Thank you… Cassandra whispers back before he passes the door. T-thank you for e-everything you’ve done for m-me… T-thank you… I… I love you.
Louis can’t help but smirk. His heart beats faster.

- I love you too, he only says before getting out of the room.