Chapter 15

There’s rain. Lightings. Thunder. A bridge. A panicked voice. A light. I jump. I drown. Slowly. I’m dying. Finally…

I wake up with jump. My nose is clogged, my throat burns like hell and my head is pounding loudly. For a moment, I’m wondering where in heaven I am.

After I scan the whole room, I realize I’m in Louis Tomlinson’s bed… My heart beats faster when I remember all of what happened yesterday night. Louis was so sweet with me… And the other boys as well.

They do everything for me and I’m really thankful…

As my stomach gurgles, I see a plate on the table beside the bed. There’s pancakes, a bowl of fruits and a glass of milk. There’s also a note. I read it.

Good morning Cassandra. I hope you’re feeling better. We didn’t have much food left in the fridge and Niall couldn’t stand waiting any longer. I made you pancakes with what we had left and I went to the grocery store with Liam, Niall and Harry. 
See you later. Love ya! Louis.  x

I smile like an idiot when I finish reading. He’s so cute. I put the note back on the table then put the plate on my thighs. 

I’m at centimetres away from the glass of milk to grab it and drink when it flies above my head. It stops there and pours itself all over me. 

The milk flows in my hair them on my face. To end up, the glass falls on my head, making my skull resonate. 

The groom’s face in floating in front of me, his mouth wide opened. It looks like he’s laughing at me.

I lose it all.

- YOU FUCKING BASTARD! WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE? I scream at the top of my lungs while looking at the groom walking away slowly. I’M SICK OF YOU! YOU’RE HURTING PEOPLE AROUND ME AND YOU MAKE ME FEEL LIKE AN REAL IDIOT! I DIDN’T DO ANYTHING TO DESERVE THIS! YOU’RE A FUCKING…

I stop talking when the door of the room opens delicately. I freeze when I see Zayn getting in. I look like an imbecile screaming into the air. I completely forgot that Louis didn’t mention his name in the note saying he left with them to the grocery shop…

- I… uh… I… I stutter. I…
- Keep going, Zayn says with a calm tone. Tell him what you’re feeling.
- W-what?
I am completely confused. 

- If you don’t tell him, he’ll never know, he adds still with that scary calm tone.
- But… uh… who are you talking about? I say trying to do like I wasn’t yelling at anyone.
Zayn lightly laughs.

- Stop acting innocent, Zayn says, laughing harder. I know who you’re talking to. You’re talking to the ghost. 
My eyes open widely and my jaw drops to the floor. I am flabbergasted. How does Zayn know I’m talking to a ghost?!

- How do you know for the ghost?! I exclaim pitching myself to be sure it’s reality. Who told you?!
- Don’t worry, Zayn says sitting next to me on the bed. No one told me. I know it because I can see him. 
I am shocked. So Zayn can also see the groom?!

- You can see him?! I say totally overtaken by the events. 
- Yes, Zayn says, smiling gently. 
- You only see the groom’s spirit or…? I ask.
- No, Zayn replies. I see all of the spirits that manifest their presence in front of me. I always had that ability; it’s just that no one knows I have it. It’s my little secret. And the “groom”, like you’re saying, I only see him since we know each other. 
- Really… I say, speechless. You’re just like me… It’s just that, for me, the groom follows me everywhere i go… he’s really annoying. 
- I noticed, Zayn admits. At the Suzanne Show, I saw him when you went down on stage. I have to admit, this ghost is really scary. I didn’t say anything, of course. I told it was excitement that made you faint but I knew it wasn’t. He also made you that wound on your arm, just like on Niall’s, he continues, frowning. This spirit seems so violent. Was he always like that?
- No, I reply. I see him since I’m like 7 and he never hurt me. It’s only recently he started to be dangerous. Since I started to talk I’d go to the Suzanne Show for One Direction.
- Weird… Zayn whispers. What else did he do to you? And do you know why he hurt Niall?
- Well… uh…
I’m very embarrassed. I’ll have to tell him all of what really happened with my house and Tanvir. But at the same time, I feel relieved to talk about it. 

- Listen Zayn, I say after taking a deep breathe. You know for my ransacked house? Well it’s not true.
- What? Zayn exclaims, surprised. 
- No, but, not totally true… I continue. I’ve really been ransacked but not my entire house… just my bedroom. And it’s the groom who destroyed it all! But I really have nothing left… But I left the house because I told about the groom to Tanvir and she thought I was crazy and wanted to send me back to my therapist… I couldn’t stay there… I am so sorry…
There’s a long silence in which Zayn and I stare into each other’s eyes. 

- Don’t be sorry, Zayn says to break the silence. You made the good choice. She couldn’t understand you. I would’ve done the same thing. Don’t worry about it.
- It’s also him who made me lose my job… I say containing my tears. He tore up my posters… He gave me a heart stack waking me up and he’s the one who broke Louis’ mirror… Crashed the ice cream on me… He took possession of a housemaid’s body at the hole and tried to strangle me… he poured that milk over my head… But I have no idea why he hurt Niall…
- Maybe he’s trying to tell a message?
- Maybe but what?
- I don’t know, Zayn tells.
- We should stop him. I’m scared he does the unthinkable…
- It’d be a good idea, he approves. But how? 
I stop and think for a moment.

- I don’t know… I say. When he possesses a body, a kick between the legs make him go… I tried with the lady at the hotel. It worked. Otherwise, the only way I found to avoid him is to flee… Like the other when I left with Louis…
- We can try like this until we find a concrete idea, Zayn says. Also, I noticed that fleeing with Louis wasn’t a big problem neither for you nor him.
He winks at me.

- What do you mean? I say, blushing.
- Louis has huge crush on you, it’s undeniable, Zayn smiles. And I could bet you have something for him too, don’t you?
- I… I don’t know… I say shyly. 
- Whatever. 
Then there’s an awkward silence.

- I just want to say thank you, Zayn, I whisper. It’s relieving to talk about it with someone who understands…
- No problem, he replied. I’m here for you. We work together on that ghost case, alright?
- Yeah.
Zayn opens his arms. I get nearer and hug him tightly. I feel a lot better now. 

- But not a word about this whole story to Louis or the other boys, alright? I make him promise while hugging him harder. 
- I promise, he says while rubbing my back. But I think Niall already has his own idea on this whole story.
- It’d surprise me. He’s just really confused on what’s going on. He just doesn’t understand why he has that wound.
- Maybe you’re right, Zayn admits as he releases me from his embrace. So, you want something? I proposed myself to stay with you while they’re gone. I thought it would be the best moment to tell you.
- You’re sweet. And no thanks, I’ll be okay. What I really need right now is a shower, I think… I say pointing my hair with all that milk. 
- Great idea, go wash yourself, you stink. 
We both burst out laughing.