Chapter 6

Year 2015

Luhan curled on her sheets like a fetus. This is what she really hates everytime her period arrives. Fortunately, her first day arrived this Saturday so she doesn’t need to endure the excruciating pain of dysmenorrhea at school. She can drink medicine to ease the pain but she doesn’t want her body to become dependent on that.

“Darling?” Her mom knocks on the door then goes inside her room to check her. Her mother was adorned by expensive jewelries and wearing a suit which makes her even more beautiful and youthful. She can’t even fathom why would her father left her mother.

“Are you alright, darling? You can drink medicine to ease the pain.” Her mother said gently while threading her fingers on Luhan’s soft hair.

“I can still endure it, mom. I don’t want my body to depend on it. Besides, I am used to this pain. As long as I can still take it, it will be fine.”

Qian’s smile turned forlorn when she heard that from her daughter. “You don’t deserve any pain from this world, my lovely daughter. But experiencing pain is really inevitable. It can make you stronger just like what you are doing right now or it will make you weaker. There will be a time that you will experience agony that you will never imagine, more painful than what you can withstand now because you will be wounded emotionally or mentally instead. Those wounds are not easy to heal but always remember to let go if you can't take it anymore, even how much painful it is to let go. You deserve overflowing happiness that this world and universe can offer, darling.”

Luhan is not that naïve not to realize that her mother is talking about something else. She really admires her mother for being strong enough to support her despite of her emotional wound caused by her very own father. She beams at her mother, ignoring momentarily the pain she feels figuratively and literally. “Don’t worry, mom. Aren’t I your awesome daughter? I can beat any pain that will be given to me.” She continues while tapping her non-existent biceps.

Qian only laughed at her daughter’s silliness. She pinches Luhan’s button nose lightly just like what she always does. Luhan on the other hand, halts her movement when pain registers back to her senses. She pressed her hands on her lower abdomen to depreciate the pain then buried her face on her pillow to muffle her whimpers.

“Oh dear, if you really don’t want to drink meds, I’ll just tell Sunmi to prepare for a hot compress.”

“I’m fine, mom.” She says while grunting. “You can go now. I know you have an important meeting.”

Her mom kissed her forehead then left another reminder not to starve herself before she finally went out of her room.

Luhan’s phone vibrated for the nth time that morning. She stared at the blinking device above her bedside table but instead of reaching for it, she chose to ignore it. Even without checking the caller ID, she already knows who is calling. Oh Sehun should really stop giving her mix signals. After the incident that happened, that includes forcibly dragging Luhan’s ass out of the ice cream shop and kissing the life out of her, she found him the next day with a girl, probably the girlfriend that he’s been claiming. She would be lying if she will say that she didn’t got jealous. The reason why she’s been avoiding the hell out of that man. If he has a girlfriend then he shouldn’t have kissed Luhan like that!

Luhan groaned in agony. She badly wants to eat French fries then dip it on ice cream. She crawled her way towards the bedside table so she can reached out for her phone. She’ll invite Yixing and Kyungsoo over (and request them to buy what she craves right now). Her phone slipped through her fingers when there is a sudden knock on her door.

“You may come in,” answers Luhan. It is probably just her mom or Sunmi, their head maid. Due to her dysmenorrhea, she’s too lazy and painful to stand so she opted to just crawl again, her upper body reaching for her phone on the carpet while her lower body is still on her bed.

“I’m fine, mom. You don’t need to worry that much. Not that I will die from—“ Luhan whipped  her head towards the direction of her doorway to acknowledge her mom but she was left gaping when Oh Sehun’s tall stature materialize in her room. “—this.”