Chapter 1

This is an edited chapter.

Luhan massages her temples. She just attended another meeting and there are so many incompetent fools that she can’t help but to dismiss them from their work. Her mom is the Chief Executive Officer of the company where she is working as an architect. It is not on her nature to handle a business but her mother was currently enjoying her life by jumping from country to country so she doesn’t have a choice but to handle it while she is unavailable. Her phone rings and speaking of the devil.

“What is it this time, Mom? If you will complain that I fired those incompetent employees of yours--”

“Darling, I didn’t call because of that. I called because I missed my favourite lovely daughter.”

Luhan narrows her eyes. Her mom seems up to something again. The last time she did this, she let her meet up with that ‘man’.

“I am your only daughter, mom.” She deadpanned. “If you will plot a plan again to let me meet that disgusting man—“

“Watch your mouth, young lady. I didn’t raised you like that.” Her mom scolded her. “He is still your father Luhan so respect him.”

“Cheaters doesn’t deserve to be respected.” Luhan said harshly. She heard her mom sighed deeply. She knows she’s too old to be reprimanded but she really can’t forgive that man for hurting her lovely mom.

“Darling, it’s been a long time. Do you think it’s about time to let go the grudges you harbour for so long?”

Luhan clenches her fist. Memories suddenly flash on her mind. Her mom kneeling in front of her good for nothing and pitiful excuse of a father to not leave them. Her mother chasing that man’s car barefooted. She was just 13 years old that time. And in that age, in that young age, her perception of love changed. That man taught her what love was. But he was also the one who broke that. She will never forget what that man did to her mother.

“Don’t force me to forget what he did to you, mom. If you are too kind to forgive him, then don’t expect me to do the same, mom.” She said coldly. Her chest abnormally tight and she didn’t realized that tears were already cascading down her heart shape face. She wipes harshly the tears that stubbornly fell from her eyes. She promised herself last 10 years that she will never ever shed, not even a drop of tear to that man again.

“Okay, I will now stop, darling. He is not the reason why I called. I just thought that since you graduated, we barely have time with each other. Can you accompany your old woman for a dinner tomorrow night?”

“Are you finally back to the country?”
“Not yet darling, I am still here in Paris. But I will be going home tomorrow. I just missed my favourite daughter so much.”

“Mom, I am your only daughter.” Luhan repeated.

“Oh, didn’t you know that I just plucked you out of the trash bin? My real daughters were Baek, Soo and Yixing.” Ms. Xi, Luhan’s mom teases her daughter.

“Mom!” Luhan whines involuntarily. When she realized what just happened, she immediately coughed.

“I really missed you, darling.” Her mom uttered again. Her voice filled with nostalgia.

Even if Luhan’s confuse of the sudden change of her mom’s tone, she replied, “I missed you too, mom.”

“I missed the old you, darling. I missed my lovely bubbly daughter. Can you return her to me?”

“Mom, that old Luhan was gone and I am happier now.”

“Young lady, the last person you should lie of is your mother. If I bring back Se—“