Chapter 9: Veronica

Chapter 9: Veronica

Sweaty and tired, I flung myself to the spot in the bar which had just opened. Ordering just a bottle of water to soothe my parched throat, I leaned back into the comfortable chair and glanced over to the dance floor. A few guys came up to me and asked me if I wanted anything to drink, smoothly declining all of them, but one, I let out an irritated sigh.

"Didn't we take a class together?" The blue eyed-golden boy had asked, his tattoo peeking from his neck under his shirt, "I could've sworn we had chemistry!"

I had smiled at the guy, not wanting to seem rude. "I'm thinking it was history. Which is what you should be right now."

He had laughed, his laugh drowning out in the songs currently being mashed up by my DJ friend, Cerra.

He tried a lot of pick up lines, ranging from 'Do your legs hurt from running through my dreams?' to 'If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?'

Thankfully, he realized I was not interested in him and went away. When my glass of water finally came, I picked it up and crossed my legs, breathing a sigh of relief as the feeling of cold water down my throat relaxed me. I finished it and then ordered a Bloody Mary.

With 'Lean On' on high bass, many of the people were on the floor, moving, dancing...

I love to dance; it gave me a rush nothing could ever beat. I could still remember the day when the doctor told me that I should give dancing up as it might be too strenuous for my new lungs. How it had broken my heart, torn a part of me... Before I could spiral out, I took another sip of my drink.

"Have I seen you someplace before?" A voice asked behind me

"Have I seen you someplace before?" A voice asked behind me. I didn't turn, thinking it was just another guy hoping to get lucky with a lame pick up line. Didn't I have enough for one day?

"Yes, that's why I don't go there anymore." I retorted, wanting the guy to just go away, no matter how beautiful and husky his voice was. I was tired and this night was just for me.

"Oh! Then you get your groceries from another place now?" Amusement was evident in his voice. Frowning, I swiveled in my chair, only to look up and find that beautiful haunting face.

"We sure are bumping into each other, Dean." I cocked my half empty glass at him in acknowledgement. He looked exceptionally beautiful tonight, with the lights from the bar striking his face at an angle which made him look swoon-worthy.

 He looked exceptionally beautiful tonight, with the lights from the bar striking his face at an angle which made him look swoon-worthy

"We sure are. You stalking me? Awesome dance moves, by the way." He said, cocking his beer at me, making me smile. "You alone?"

I quirked an eyebrow. "Oh please! If anything, you are stalking me! And... maybe...maybe not."

"I saw you come in alone, your Highness." I laughed.

"Well maybe I am just waiting for my friends." He nodded. "Could be."

Silence fell over between us, making me look at the table...in shyness? Oh hell no. Veronica does not get shy. "How is Natalie?"

I looked up at him, frowning slightly at the weird question. "She is okay, I think. I haven't seen her in the last three days." As I told him, I felt a pang. I missed that little monster.

"Oh, uh, is she staying with her dad?"

"No. At least, I don't think so. He had gone to a business trip to Brisbane. She is with her mom." When I saw his incredulous expression, I snorted. "Wait, don't tell me, you thought I was her mother!" I felt amused. Dean looked uncomfortable. "Well, uh, yeah?"

I laughed.

As 'Demons' by Starset came on, I stood up, drowning the rest of my drink. Pulling on his hand and trying to ignore the warm feeling which blossomed inside me as soon as I came in contact with him, I told him to come with me. Like me, he gulped the rest of his drink, down in one gulp and slammed the glass on the bar.

Dodging the other people on the way, I lead him to the center of the dance floor. I turned around in the midst of the bodies and rammed myself up to his. Swaying my hips deliciously; almost seductively, I gripped his collar, bringing him impossibly closer to me. The beats moved me; the atmosphere drove me crazy.

His arms wrapped around my waist, melting me around him. My heartbeat increased because of him, now pumping wildly, matching the beats of the song. I moved my shoulders against his torso, teasing him. I leaned back, away from him, still dancing, to do another dance step. But I guess he disagreed.

With a sudden jerk, he brought me back to him. Our bodies were locked from head to toe and I loved it! My body fit with his perfectly, it was like a box of puzzle where there were only two pieces, me and him. He was here, he was there, he was everywhere.

His breathing was hard, like mine. He growled in my ear. The music was loud, but I was able to hear him perfectly. "You promised. What's your name?"

I smirked up at him, meeting, what I felt was his eyes. The light was too dim for me to tell accurately.

"Veronica."

And then, I kissed him.

----

Well!

Thoughts? :D

Fun Fact: The last line was not there in the first draft.