Chapter 16: Dean

Chapter 16: Dean

I stared at her as the ambulance took us to the hospital. Her red hair was framing her face in almost the same way it did so many years ago. How could I have ever forgotten her?

The nurse riding with us, though young, was professional

The nurse riding with us, though young, was professional. She had her uniform on and was too engrossed in her work to even talk to me. That was fine anyways. I was in a flashback.

I looked at Veronica, an oxygen mask covering her face because she had irregular breathing. I watched as the transparent surface of the mask became fogged and clear alternatively with her breath.

Gingerly, I reached for her hand and had just entwined my fingertips with hers before the nurses' voice penetrated my conscious.

"You know her?" She asked me as she sat down on the seat beside me. There was nothing on her face apart from general curiosity. I nodded.

"She is just suffering from high blood pressure; which I think is from stress and mild dehydration. At the most, she will be kept for a few hours, then you can take her home." She smiled at me kindly.

I returned her smile, turning to look back at the beauty lying in front of me. With a little push of my hand, I was able to fully tangle my hand with hers. I needed this contact with her.

Just as our palms connected, it was like I was sucked in a trance.

I still remembered the heat of the fire, heard that soft call from help from somewhere in that burning inferno of that building. It was my fourth time as a fire-fighter, and we had successfully evacuated all the residents in and around that building. I was just about to leave the almost collapsing building when I had seen that door at the end of the hallway. It was like time was moving in slow motion.

There was something in me which was just telling me to go there and open that door

There was something in me which was just telling me to go there and open that door. As I had come closer, with no doubt, ash and soot all on me and my face, my helmet saving my eyes from the heat, I had heard a voice. It was soft, almost non-existent in the large crackling and racket around me, I thought I had imagined it before it came again.

"Help."

That was it. I brought my foot up and proceeded to kick the door open. There was someone else inside. I will be damned if I let someone die on my watch.