Chapter 24: Dean

Chapter 24: Dean

The next two months were absolutely chaotic.

I was one of the people who was least interested in fashion. To be perfectly honest, I had never given much thought to what all goes before designer showcases his or her products. Sure, I had my fashion sense and I tried to look good wherever I went, but what I saw, was madness.

I also understood why models were rumored to have such bad tempers. They hardly ever ate! After signing the contract, I was ushered into a room where my measurements were taken. There, I met a couple of models who were waiting their turn. Because Veronica was busy in a meeting during lunch, I decided to have lunch with Zara and Zavier.

I liked them both and learnt from Minnie later that their brother-sister duo was one of the most demanded pair on the ramp. I noticed how less Zavier ate and how Zara looked at everything on the lavish table in the cafeteria with longing. When I had asked as to why they weren't devouring the delicious doughnuts, their answer was to tell me the calories it has.

My response was to put three of the chocolaty goodness on my plate, much to their appall. That, however, was the only day I was carefree like that with my body.

I wasn't unaware of the happenings in the world. I knew Veronica was in a lot of hurry to get her pieces ready and it won't be good if I gain more weight. Veronica had told me quite honestly to watch my size as she will not be able to resize my clothes again due to the shortage of time. That's why I was watching everything I ate these days and was trying to burn excess fat in the gym of the fire station.

I wanted to look good that day. It's human nature to want that.

I was called dozens of times back to Pandemonium to see how the dress was looking on me as a model. I really liked the stuff Veronica was designing.

I did not miss how Veronica's eyes ran over me, first professionally, to check if there was anything amiss and then heatedly, as if she wanted to devour me.

I still felt burned through the soft cloth.

Despite the time crunch, Veronica never failed to call me or text me once every couple of days. Initially we were talking about the designs and if I had any ideas for my look, but somewhere between talking about our jobs to arguing about why Tom Cruise just age does not, we became friends.

I sighed as I sat down in the taxi. Today, I will be leaving for Dubai with Veronica.

Sure, I had the option of coming later, but I was really looking forward to going to such an exotic place. I had taken almost all kinds of leaves for a vacation this big. Casual, emergency, medical...you name it. I would be working for the entire year after this without any leave, but I am sure this trip will be worth it.

Mom, Dad and Kellan had thrown me a small party yesterday and I was still feeling the aftereffects of it. My stomach still full of all the pasta I had yesterday. Skipping breakfast seemed like the good choice.

I unlocked my phone when I heard it beep.

Panda: Where are you? I am almost at the airport.

I smiled. I thought back to when I had changed Veronica's contact name to Panda.

It was late at night when I had entered Pandemonium. Veronica had mentioned how she needed to stay there for a while longer to sort out the mess with the colors of some dress.

I decided to leave for my night shift at the station a couple of hours early and get her some nourishment. I remembered how she had looked up from her desktop in confusion and then in happiness when I had waved the takeout boxes in front of me.

We went over to the couches towards the side of her room where we had our late-night dinner together. She was yawning and rubbing her eyes which resulted in her mascara being smeared around her eyes.

She looked so cute as she had glanced at me, hence the name Panda. Sure, it helped that it was also a play on her company's name. She hated the name, which was also precisely why I had set it as her contact name.

I was interrupted from my dreaming when I received another text.

Panda: ??? Dude I will leave without you.

Dean: I will take another 5 minutes. The light just turned green. Where shall I meet you?

Panda: At the gate of the airport. I am standing beside pillar 23.

Dean: Meet you there.

True to my words, I was at the airport in the next five minutes. After paying the driver, I hiked my backpack a bit farther up my shoulder. Spotting red hair at the small café beside the pillar she had mentioned, I smirked, instantly feeling at ease.

Trying to be sneaky, I went to her and put my hand around her waist. She jumped as she whirled around, the muffin in her hands almost falling off in a hurry. Memory of us sharing a muffin that day when she was in hospital came in my mind and I smiled. I looked down, expecting to see stormy grey eyes, but I was met with black ones.

Wait, what?

"Dean?" I reeled around at my name, still confused when I saw Veronica standing there.

Then who was--? Before my mind could catch up with the fact that the person, I was holding was NOT Veronica, the woman in my arms freed herself. Understandably angry, she forcefully rubbed her muffin against my face and stormed off, muttering something under her breath.

I squinted, testing to see if any chocolate will fall in my eyes and looked back at Veronica to see her face contorted in a shocked expression with both of her hands forming a tent around her mouth, before she burst out in giggles.

"Oh my god." She exclaimed as she came near and asked the guy running the café for a napkin. She ushered me to the side so the people behind me could order. "I go the washroom for one minute and look what happens."

She grabbed my chin and gently started cleaning my face. Meanwhile, I observed her. She was dressed in a casual attire, black jeans and navy-blue top. She had a white jacket on top of it and a small, very cute hat which didn't even cover her ears.

My warrior princess looked absolutely gorgeous.

She stepped back, eyes roaming over my face to check if there was anything left.

"Is it done?" I asked.

"Wait." Locking her gaze with me, she lifted a finger and caressed the corner of my mouth. It was a light touch, but it set me on fire due to the unexpectedness. "It's such a shame." She whispered, while I had difficulty breathing. I briefly wondered what she was talking about. When she pulled her finger back, I glanced down to see some chocolate still there.

I nearly died when she put it in her mouth.

"Such a waste of good chocolate."

---

Please show some love here guys. :(

-A