Chapter 15: Veronica

Gone. All the dresses I had designed for the Dubai Fashion Week are just...gone.

My eyes watered as I looked towards the window where dark grey waves of smoke came out. There is nothing left.

Why, why, why hadn't I just listened to Minnie and kept the dresses in my office?! I am so stupid! I just wanted to curl up and burst out into sobs at that point.

Just as I had crashed into my apartment, Minnie had called me with the news of my store burning, I had to leave immediately. I rushed out to the store just as I was--in wrinkly, irritating formals.

That store, which had all the dresses I had so painstakingly designed and finished.

It's probably just scraps of burnt cloth now.

And I couldn't even blame the firemen for not coming on time. I had arrived moments after them, almost at the same time as the paramedics and had watched how efficient and well-organized they were. Especially that Captain. It looked like he had the whole thing under control. It is really funny how similar his build was to Dean's...

I know I should be passing by the barracks right now, go and thank all those brave people who doused the fire out, but I just couldn't move. I was too numb. Too miserable. This was my effort of almost an entire year down in the drain.

The combined smell of rotting plastic and the faint metallic of the electronics were making me queasy, nauseous. I wanted to curl under a blanket and never come out. I was done. Done.

I had no showstopper. Now I had no dresses. I better inform the organizer, that I won't be there this year, I thought to myself grimly. And that hurt so much. I know this was the second time I was showcasing me and my employee's talents but still I had so much hope.

When you work really hard at something, you build your hopes and dreams towards it. The pain, the agony you feel when they are broken down into smithereens is just...indescribable.

Last year it was basically an introduction, that, 'Hi! I am Veronica Rivers, your new competition.' Since then, I had opened multiple stores as my lovely customers liked the designs and the practicality and the low-price, obviously, but this was a chance to go global. If not that, then at least nation-wide.

This year was to stabilize my position in the fashion world.

I felt myself swaying, as a sudden need to crash hit me like a tidal wave. I tried to focus my eyes as black spots appeared in front of them, but to no avail.

I was just aware of a searing burning in my chest before my legs gave out under me, unable to support me, just as my eyes rolled back and the blanket of black fell over me.

It was happening all over again.

It all felt like a dream, a horrible one at that. The beeps, the sounds, the screaming voices of the nurses and the doctors, the bright white light focused on me, the anesthetist telling me to count backwards from 10 to one as he injected the burning liquid in my arm. Some nurse putting on his gloves in front of my vision, the cool feeling of the oxygen mask pumping air in me.

I wanted to escape this. I never wanted to go through this again. What was happening?

No. No! NO!

"Ronnie!" Just as soon as my ears caught my name, my eyes flew open. I gasped, my eyes locking to a pair of blue ones I knew too well.

"Zoey." I choked out, my eyes brimming with tears. She gave me a sympathetic look and started rubbing my hand, making me realize she had been holding it all along.