Chapter 40: Dean

Chapter 40: Dean

I let out a chuckle as I read the magazine clipping. The author truly had a way with words.

Veronica's head shifted a bit from its place on my shoulder and I kissed the top of it in return. She grunted a bit, obviously wanting to be left alone while she was sleeping, making me laugh a bit more. It was crazy how adorable she was. Everything she does was perfection to me.

"Stahp." She mumbled as she cuddled in a bit more into me.

"What if I don't want to?" I challenged in a murmur, not really wanting her to listen to my words. I should probably let her sleep. But I was a bit bored. The flight was long and she had been sleeping for the past three hours.

Wordlessly, she moved her head from my shoulder to sleep against the glass window in rebellion.

"Sorry, sorry." I gasped out in mock outrage. Laughing at her cuteness, I gently grabbed her head and brought it back to its rightful place. I sighed in utter contentment when she sleepily kissed my neck, controlling my tickle-laughter.

"Do you want me to take that for you, Sir?" the air hostess asked as she approached and pointed to Veronica's empty wine glass.

"Yes, please. Oh, and can you please shut the window and grab us a blanket?" I whispered, so as to not jostle Veronica again. She nodded and proceeded to do what I had requested.

With the window shut, the seats down and Veronica beside me, I really thought life couldn't get any better. The event was a huge success and I felt so proud of my girlfriend.

Yes, girlfriend.

I smiled nostalgically when I remembered how I had asked her out. It was the morning after the wildest afterparty, and we had both woken up in the afternoon with quite a hangover. We decided to grab pancakes from a nearby restaurant.

While eating, I had just observed her inhaling her food with no care, with her messy bun and slightly smeared eyeliner, and to me, she looked so beautiful that I had to ask her. Maybe I would buy her flowers first or take her out for dinner and a movie.

"Be my girlfriend." I had blurted out instead. I didn't even ask. I just demanded.

The scenario I had imagined in my head: She will look up from her plate for the first time since sitting down at the restaurant. Her eyes will be wide in shock and her lips will have a bit of chocolate on them. I will chuckle before I will proceed to grab a tissue and wipe it off, very aware of our intimacy. Somewhere near us, violins will start to play. Her pupils will dilate. "This is awkward." I will comment after sitting down and then she will shyly say yes just as the music will reach its climax.

What actually happened: "Sure." She had replied before I had even gotten the words out, never looked up once and was still eating her pancakes like it was her last meal. The noise of the busy street and people eating was our background music.

There was one similarity in both the situations though. Her lips did have a bit of chocolate on them. I was about to wipe it off when she had slapped my hands away.

"Later. Food." She whispered, all serious as I laughed. I knew that Veronica had gone on a crash diet to perfectly fit in that beautiful red gown of hers, and now that the event was over, she is going to go all out.

With that, ladies and gentlemen is how I became the boyfriend of a very pretty, successful, talented lady.

I came back to the present when I felt a small pressure on my hand. Peeking inside the blanket curiously, I found out that Veronica had brushed her hand across mine while shifting unknowingly.