Chapter 42: Dean

Chapter 42: Dean

"Are you kidding me!" I almost screamed at the police officer who was taking my statement. This was the fifth time he had asked me to spell out Veronica's name. He was a rookie, I knew it. But even rookies had braincells which this guy was missing. Why was he recruited?

"Sir, I need her last name as well." He stuttered as he saw my enraged expression, the pen shaking a bit in his hands.

"R-I-V-E-R-S." My clenched teeth were in danger of snapping off of my jaw.

"Got it. We will send out an alert." He smiled reassuringly, throwing an empty packet of chips from his cubicle in the direction of the dustbin in the corner, missing it completely.

My anger couldn't be controlled now. I banged both hands on the wooden table separating the both of us, the thing which was barely stopping me from leaping onto the guy and strangling him.

"I know she is kidnapped! There was a sound of gunshot!" My voice broke towards the end, full of worry. My foot was tapping restlessly on the floor, and my hands were pulled into fists. I wanted to pull my hair in frustration.

"You said there was heavy metal song playing in the background. Maybe it was sound of that?" He mused as he put the pen behind his ear, leaning back in his chair, relaxed.

I blinked a few times to stop the angry tears from falling. This is insane. What the hell kind of police station is this?!

"Can you please at the very least, track her phone!?" I demanded instead, throwing my bag on the floor in desperation. The police is supposed to help people, why isn't he doing anything?

"Sir, just because you said that the person is kidnapped, we need to do our own investigation and make sure. We will go to the house of the person of whom you gave details of and check. Please understand that we cannot just track any phone any random person wants tracked. You need to show proof that you are a family member at the very least. The city wouldn't be safe otherwise." He grinned, showing me his pearly whites, obviously proud of his answer.

"You think the city is safe?! I am telling you she is kidnapped and here you are, telling me useless information! I am a part of FDNY, you need to find Veronica now!" Taking out my badge from my wallet, I threw it on the counter as proof.

"Sir, please try to understand, its currently three am at night, there are no senior officials with me today, the maximum I can do is send out an alert—"

"Then that means that you cannot do your job because of your incompetence." I sneered breaking the last word into multiple pieces for greater effect to get the point across, hating the situation I was in.

Already, it had been three hours since I last heard from her, and I was dying inside from worry as to what had happened. Already my stomach had a sinking feeling. I knew in my gut something was wrong. I wanted to believe the rookie in front of me and think that the sound of the bullet firing was just a part of the music. I wanted to believe that Veronica had gone off to sleep after reaching her home and that was why she wasn't picking up my call. But I could be wrong. I didn't want to risk her life just because of a simple assumption I make.

She was too precious to me.

"Sir, please take a seat." The rookie's demeanor changed from friendly to nasty in a blink, as he stood up and pointed his chin at the seats beside the door, his hand on the gun in his holster.

I gave him a dirty look as with exasperation, exhaustion, and sheer annoyance, I grabbed my bag off the floor and proceeded to sit where the guy had directed me to. He then settled down and began tapping away on his computer.

I put my face in my palms, elbows on my knees as I tried to think of a way out of this dilemma. Panic was exponentially increasing in me every moment, and I was getting distraught with worry.

Seconds ticked off into minutes into an hour. I couldn't sleep and I couldn't breathe. I begged God that she would be safe. I wouldn't know what I would do without her. Already we had lost six years of our time. No more.

Please Veronica, please be okay. I prayed into the night, just hoping with all my being that there must be a logical explanation for this, and that somehow, all of this is a nightmare.

"Hey dude." I heard the rookie speak again and I looked up reflexively. "What time did you say she was kidnapped?" Did he seriously forget the time? What use was coming here and reporting a crime?

"Around eleven at night." I gritted my teeth, wanting to file a complaint against this unprofessional behavior.

"She has posted something on her Instagram half an hour back. Are you sure she is kidnapped?" He commented as he made his way towards the back, where the washroom was.

But I didn't care. I was already opening Instagram on my phone and searching for her profile. He was right. She had posted something. Half an hour back.

Half an hour.

She was okay.

I was mistaken.

My breath of relief got stuck in my throat as her post loaded.

Wait...what?

The post was an old picture of her striking a pose wearing a sequined jacket. She was looking up, and a part of her face was illuminated by the sunlight, her red wavy hair flying. Her eyes had a look of ferociousness and she looked more like an influencer than a businesswoman. Like all her Instagram posts, she had written a caption about life.

The post already had a couple thousand likes and a few hundred comments, despite being so late at night. That wasn't the part I focused on, though.

My blood froze in my veins as I stared at the screen.

"This is not her!" I shrieked; just as the rookie returned, fixing his pants as he walked, flinching at the sound of my voice. "She is not the one who uploaded this picture!"

"We will check out the complaint tomorrow, Sir, please leave now, else I will put you in holding where you will spend the night." He stated as he sat down and resumed the game he was playing earlier. Indifferent to the beast of fear which had captivated me, immobilizing me.

Useless.

Everybody is useless.

There is no one who believes she is missing. There is no one to believe me.

Except...

I combed through my contacts on my phone trying to find her name, thanking the gods I had taken her number during the Fashion event. Clicking dial on it, I waited till she picked up. 

"Hello?" Her sleepy voice came through the phone, confused as to why I was calling her in the middle of the night. Sounds of rustling came through the phone, as the person on the other line got up from bed.

"Zoey, I need your help. Veronica has been kidnapped."

------

Thoughts?

Suggestions on any good K-Drama?

By the way, I am halfway through the plotting the storyline for the next book in this series. 

Wait.

Do you guys even want another book?

It will be pretty awkward if you say no. :D How about we make a deal?

You say yes and I will provide virtual hugs and loads of cookies.

-A