Chapter 39: Veronica

"How are you so calm?" Minnie asked as she stood beside me, rocking back and forth in her heels, restless. She checked the time on her phone for the fourth time in the past three minutes. She was wearing a sleek black suit with heels to match with her hair open. Small diamonds adorned her ears.

"It seems I have passed beyond stressed, past hysteria, into the grey misty indifference of complete shutdown of all but emergency services in my brain

"It seems I have passed beyond stressed, past hysteria, into the grey misty indifference of complete shutdown of all but emergency services in my brain. My chill is a hundred percent fake." I laughed as I reflected. Maybe I have just switched off my emotions.

I put my hand over my chest, right above where my heart was supposed to be, and felt that the beating was regular. I sighed as I pushed some of my hair behind my hair, looking at the packed hall. The lighting in the hall was bright, so I could easily see people talking amongst each other as refreshments was being served.

I smiled as I overheard someone compliment the hall. I mentally patted my back as I observed my surroundings. I had wanted a Dubai aesthetic but since my idea of holding the event in the desert was rejected, I had created a mini desert of my own. Unlike the usual halls, the one which was available to me at the last moment was circular in nature. So, I had requested for a huge circle light to depict the sun, and the ramp where my models would walk would also be circular in nature.

Keeping up with the aesthetic, I had chosen to add a little layer of fine, warm sand and had requested my audience to remove their shoes so as to prevent tripping

Keeping up with the aesthetic, I had chosen to add a little layer of fine, warm sand and had requested my audience to remove their shoes so as to prevent tripping. It was a different concept and until now, no bad reviews were heard.

Taking inspiration from the desert safari camp, instead of my audience sitting on chairs, I had opted for a raised platform-bleachers thing. The reporters and photographers were setting up their equipment, taking pictures of the icons in the industry. Soft music playing in the background was keeping everyone in the mood.

I was in the process of taking a deep breath when I was suddenly tackled from behind. I squeaked as a pair of arms latched around my waist and another across my bare shoulders. I checked discreetly to see if my red dress had shifted from its position anywhere before I turned around to see my favorite mother-daughter pair.