Chapter 50: Dean - Epilogue

Chapter 50: Dean – Epilogue

Unimaginable pain gripped my heart as I stared at the ground below me.

It felt as if my heart was breaking in two.

Tears threatened to leak out of my eyes but Zoey's grip on my arm stopped me. Alexander stood next to her, his face somber.

"It is okay." She whispered as she tried hard not to cry. Her voice betrayed her emotions. "She loved you. She wouldn't want you in this state."

I nodded, not listening to her words as I dug my heels in the ground, disturbing the perfectly trimmed lawn. I looked up, trying to compose myself with the swaying leaves overhead. We were all standing below a tree for the shade. My hair got a bit ruffled in the wind.

It was an exceptionally bright, beautiful, and sunny day for an event so tragic. It was killing me inside. As I watched a couple of clouds pass by, I couldn't hold it in anymore. I fell to the ground as memories broke through, my tears falling on the ground.

I continued to cry even when Alexander kneeled beside me and comforted me by patting my back. It was useless, though. I clutched the grass in between my fingers, resisting the urge to pull them out of rage and despair.

Why! Why did this have to happen to her!

She was...

I wish we had more time...

Only if...

"Oh my god, for Christ's sake, get a grip. It is just a car!" Cute laughter reached my ears as a woman settled down beside me, carefully handing out ice-cream cones she just bought from the restaurant behind us, to everyone. I took my chocolate cone out of her hands without a word, not trusting myself to speak. Natalie came bounding over from the playground and grabbed her Mint Chocolate before rushing off, screaming her thanks to her aunt.

"She was not just a car." Zoey whispered as she took her strawberry one with sprinkles on top. We all looked forward where the car junkyard was. I could almost imagine the crusher flattening my Becky, breaking her into pieces just like my heart. Just the thought of it was making me sad enough to tear up again.

"She was beautiful." Alexander agreed as he stole a bite of Zoey's ice cream, making her smack him in mock irritation. I nodded as I continued to munch on mine, giving a bit to the red head beside me, as she wanted a taste. In return I got to have a bite of her Butterscotch ice cream.

It was so sad, really. Becky was precious to me. She was the first car I had bought after saving up for so long. And now, it was her time to go. I could have sold her, sure, but in my heart, I knew she deserved better than another guy mishandling her. So, this was it. Not to mention, she had reached her age as it is.

But as I looked around me, watching Alexander and Zoey fight over their shared snack and Veronica engrossed with her phone, I guess Becky did have a few people who loved her apart from myself. Both Zoey and Alexander had fallen in love with Becky the first time they had seen her as they were both car enthusiasts. That, in itself gave me strength to move on.

I finished my snack and turned my head towards Veronica who leaned towards me a bit and held her phone out to read the headline on the news app on her phone.

Pandemonium stock shoots as clothes sell out!

I grinned, as I gazed into her grey eyes. She deserved this. She deserved every happiness in the world.

My warrior princess had been through so much.

Sometimes, I really do wish I could go back in time and kill that psychopath again. Despite our differences, I respected Jake for making the judgement call and take a kill-shot that day instead of capturing him. Jake had gotten a Medal of Honor from the Mayor for the same.

I am sure Flash would have escaped serving sentence with his record of mental history if he had lived that night. And to know that a person like him can harm Veronica ever again would have driven me to insanity.

The past year was very demanding for Veronica. Physically, she needed twenty-two stiches on three different parts of her body. She had a dislocated shoulder and bruised ribs. Not to mention, she was shot at. Sure, it was a flesh wound, but it counted.

But she was so strong. I still remember the way she had smiled at me as she was taken to the hospital after getting rescued. She was the one giving me strength. I was there in the ambulance with her and the pressure of her grip on my hand never wavered. She never complained of any pain, and always had a smile on her face whenever someone visited her in the hospital. She was discharged after spending a couple of weeks in the hospital and she joined her office a month after that.

Mentally, the situation is quite different. She may look relaxed and carefree, but I knew how difficult she still has it.

I know she cannot stand mechanical clocks now. The ticking reminds her of the bomb which was attached to her. I was there the first night she spent back at her apartment after her discharge, when she had the panic attack. She had cried the entire night.

I know that she cannot use her blanket properly now. She hates having her arms and hands restrained because it reminds her of the straitjacket.

I know that fire reminds her of too many things in the past; her apartment fire, the fire at her store before the Dubai Fashion Week, and the one where she was kidnapped and kept. That is why even though she will freeze, she never goes near campfires now.

I know loud sounds scare her because of what happened with Flash and sometimes she has nightmares.

But I also know, that despite everything, I will continue to love her. I will always continue to buy digital clocks and keep them fully operational. I will always pull her closer to me to share my body warmth whenever she feels cold because of the blanket. I will always offer her my jacket and wrap her in it when she is shivering all alone in a cold corner. I will always continue to make her favorite cup of coffee even if its three in the morning and sit with her when she can't sleep.

I will always be there for her.

And it's not only me. I know Zoey and Alexander are there as well and they have tried their best to keep Veronica's mind off things when the memories bombard her, and I am not there. Minnie, who had become one of my good friends now, always kept me updated on Veronica's state during the initial months.

But maybe it was finally time to really move on from all the hurt and the pain.

Lost in my thoughts, I was brought back to reality when my gaze got captured by the ring on Veronica's hand. I looked at it as the rays of the setting sun got caught in it, making it sparkle like a flashlight in a diamond mine. The simple yet elegant style of the princess cut suited her, and I was thankful I had decided to take Zoey along with me for ring-shopping.

I smiled as I grabbed her hand and kissed it making Veronica blush a deep red, ignoring the way Zoey and Alexander were making weird faces at us.

Our wedding was next month, and I just could not wait to start my life with her.

She was mine and I was hers.

Sure, the past had become a part of us and has shaped us in ways in which we wouldn't understand now, but I know that it won't stop us in living our lives in the best way possible.

And come what may, I will always protect her.

After all, am I not the Billionaire's Savior?

-The End-