Chapter 28: Dean

Chapter 28: Dean

It took me a while to realize something was wrong.

Veronica was sitting with Zavier and Zara and just nodded when I woke up, not meeting my eyes. Now, obviously I was not expecting a party for me, but a 'Hi' would have sufficed. At that time, I was more occupied by the prospect of having morning breath, so I just shuffled in the small washroom to clean up.

Later, she gave me a wide berth while passing me in the aisle and just gave me one-word answers. She didn't talk at all with me for the rest of the flight and my fellow models noticed.

"What's up with Veronica? You guys were super close just a day back." Zara asked as she pulled on her designer and signature black boots, readying herself for the landing of the plane in another twenty minutes. As a model, you needed to look good always. And apparently, airport looks are a thing now.

I leaned on the doorframe, watching her movements as I nodded at Zavier who patted me on the back while going to the washroom. I knew Veronica was on call with her assistant Minnie, who was already waiting at the Dubai airport for us, about some security measures.

"I have no idea. She just stopped talking to me today." I rubbed my hand against my face wondering what went wrong. I was a gentleman last night, didn't say stupid things, was considerate too...

"What did you guys talk about last night?" She glanced up sharply, the action highlighting her cheekbones. Damn, she is quite beautiful. I liked Veronica, though.

"Nothing, we were just goofing around." I frowned, trying to remember. I didn't notice Zara watching us that time. This habit of not noticing other people when I am with Veronica is dangerous. I had to be more aware, I chided myself.

"Well, then give her time. She will come around." She pulled on her spiky black leather jacket and gave me a grin, moving past me to go to the mirror.

"Or just give her some flowers." Zavier poked his head out, toothbrush in his mouth, making him mix up some of the words. I nodded and thanked them for the advice just as the captain's voice was heard over the speakers.

"This is your captain speaking, we will be landing in Dubai soon. The local time is eight thirty in the morning and the temperature is ninety-six degrees Fahrenheit. Time left for arrival is seventeen minutes. Cabin crew, please take your seats for landing."

 An hour later, I was literally shoved inside the black Mercedes-AMG G 63

An hour later, I was literally shoved inside the black Mercedes-AMG G 63. I gasped for breath and watched through the darkened window as Veronica scarified herself for us.

Fans swarmed around her, trying to catch a glimpse of her or a photo or a selfie, and she let them. According to Minnie who had met us at the airport and was now sitting in the passenger seat, this was normal. Sure, normal businesspeople do not have such a following, but Veronica's top-notch social media handles are super aesthetic, making her one of the few people with a huge fanbase.

Zara and Zavier had left for the hotel a while before, and since there were only two cars booked, Veronica has to travel with me.

I mean, Minnie, the driver and me.

After I realized something was amiss, I was trying to find a way to get her alone but it seemed impossible. Now, maybe with the silence in the car, I can talk to her about what is bothering her. I like her, but first and foremost she is my friend. And friends talk to each other. I knew that there was no way it could be me. Last night ended on good terms.

Well...I hope it wasn't me.

My heart thumped as the other door of the car opened and in, she came. It took my breath away how excited she looked. Despite whatever she says about paparazzi and the constant attention, she loves her fans, just as much they love her.

The car started rolling as we carefully navigated through the throng of people and then sped up when we were clear of them.

A few minutes passed in silence. I wanted to talk to her, I really did. But she kept her gaze on the tall buildings outside. I watched her as she kept ignoring me, my chest constricting slightly. I groaned, closing my eyes as that action caused my ears to hurt, as during landing the air pressure difference had made them pop...again.

I thought back to when Veronica had so carefully rubbed the back of my ears to alleviate the pain and I tried to recreate her actions. I caused more harm than anything. Trying to swallow the hot bile in my mouth, I almost choked on it when soft hands grabbed my face. I opened my eyes to see grey orbs.

"This is how you do it." Veronica whispered as her hands worked her magic. I almost hummed in peace and frankly, was almost about to go to sleep when the driver informed us that we were there.

Veronica gave me the smallest of smiles as she took her hands away from my face and got out of the car along with the driver, leaving me alone with Minnie. She pulled out the earphones from her ears and shifted in her seat to look back at me, her face empathetic.

"You got it bad for her, huh?"

"Very." I murmured as I dropped my head into the headrest.

"Come on, don't sleep here. You will be in your room soon."

A few minutes later, I found out that there was no 'my' room. It was 'ours'.

"I cannot believe it!" Veronica seethed as she paced the hotel floor a little bit ahead from us. I took a seat on a chair which was just made available to fix my untied shoelace.

"What happened?!" Dropping her bag beside my chair in the lobby, Minnie rushed to her employer where they talked in heated whispers. I was barely able to catch Minnie stifling a laugh before I saw Veronica stomp towards me.

My eyes widened as I took a small step back, not sure what was going on. She stopped in front of me, Minnie on her heels. Minnie was grinning like a chimpanzee behind Veronica's shoulder.

Maybe I will die today. But hey, it was a good run. Not a lot of regrets.

"Zara's partner flew out. So, she took the room reserved for Minnie. Minnie is taking my room. Zavier is sharing his room with another model. So, I am sharing with you." She gave a white card to me, grumpily.

Okay. This trip hasn't even started, and it is the best one I have had. I really tried to hide the smirk.

"Lead the way."

---

Do you even like the book?

-A