~ Chapter 1 ~

"Get up, Rachel!" shouts mum from the kitchen.

It is my first day at my new school. This school will be the fifth high school mum and dad have moved me to since year seven. I really don't mind but it does get exhausting; moving houses at least twice a year just to keep up with my dad. My dad is in the Special Forces and mum likes to stay close to him, therefore we move often.

Quickly, I get dressed into my school uniform, brush my hair and teeth.

"I've packed your lunch for you, sweetie," says mum, as I walk into the kitchen.

"Thanks, Mum," I grab my lunch bag off of the counter.

"I can drive you to school? Only if you want?" she asks, her voice shaky.

After a few years of moving, I got used to it. Mum hasn't though, she still gets nervous for me.

"It's okay, I'll catch the bus."

"Are you sure? I can take you," she wearily smiles.

"Mum, don't worry, I'll be fine." I reply.

"Promise?"

"I promise."

I kiss mum on the forehead, grab a piece of toast, pick up my bag and scramble out the door.

-*-*-*-

I arrive at school 15 minutes before the bell. As I walk through the gate everyone gives me the "New Girl" stare. I guess you can say that I've gotten used to it over the last few years.

"Hey, are you okay? You look lost," asks a sweet voice from behind me.

"Yeah, um, where does year 12 sit?" I laugh.

"Well, they sit right here!" she says, with a beaming smile. "I'm Emma."

"Hi, I'm Rachel," I smile back.

Emma drags me over to her group.

"This is Rachel, she's new," she says.

They all exchange "hello's" with me and Emma goes around the group and introduces me.

"Rachel, this is Estelle." Emma says, pointing to a petite brunette. "Estelle, this is Rachel."

Estelle smiles at me and I do the same back.

Next, Emma introduces me to Nathan. He stands up, walks over to me and hugs me. I smile and hug him back.

"He's gay," Emma whispers in my ear as Nathan breaks the hug.

He chuckles, a sound that automatically makes me smile.

"Shut up, Em," he laughs, nudging Emma in the stomach.

"Sorry, I couldn't help myself," she says, giving Nathan a friendly, yet dirty look.

-*-*-*-

The bell rings and its time for class. I head up to the front office to collect my timetable. I look at it and make my way to my first class.

"According to this map, B block is this way," I whisper to myself.

I think somebody's following you.

"Don't be stupid. Of course someone is behind me, they are obviously walking to class," I whisper, rolling my eyes at my thoughts.

Are you sure?

I listen to my thoughts and quickly turn around. A very good looking guy is standing in front of me, wearing the biggest smirk.

"Are you following me?" I say and immediately mentally slap myself.

"Are you the new girl?" He laughs.

I feel my cheeks flush.

"Yes?"

"Well, you're in my English class and my teacher sent me down to come look for you. She had a feeling that you were lost."

"Funny that," I say under my breathe.

He hears my cheeky comment and shakes his head, laughing.

"You have English in B5, right?"

"Right," I smile in reply.

He smiles back and turns around.

What just happened?

"Come on!" he calls back, "You're already late."

I shake my head to try and clear my thoughts and walk quickly to catch up.

As we arrive at the classroom, he turns around to face me.

"What's your name?" He whispers, smiling at me.

"Rachel," I smile.

"Cameron," he grins, showing his pearly white teeth.

"Nice to meet you."

"You too," he whispers.

"Why are you whispering?" I laugh.

"I don't know," he whispers. "Why are you whispering?"

I roll my eyes and laugh in reply.

We walk into the classroom and everyone immediately looks at Cameron and I with wide eyes.

"Hello Rachel, I'm Miss Lemoony and I'll be teaching you English this term. The only spare seat at the moment is next to Cameron, so I will be putting you there for the week and we will see how it works," she says with a smile.

I smile in reply and make my way over to where Cameron is sitting.

"You better be good at English, 'cause I suck," he chuckles as I sit down.

-*-*-*-

"You talked to Cameron? How was it?" squeals Emma.

"She not only talked to him, but she's sitting next to him in English!" giggles Estelle.

"Rachel's already known by the popular boys," chuckles Nathan.

"Jeez, calm down." I laugh,"He's just some guy."

"JUST SOME GUY?!" Emma and Estelle scream in unison.

Huh?

"Cameron is the 'head' of the popular guys," laughs Nathan. "His reputation at school is the 'Bad Boy'."

Estelle pretends to faint and Emma fans her.

"It's a shame he's not single." Sighs Emma, "he was definitely into you."

My stomach sinks at the words "not single" and I feel a slight pang of jealousy.

"Don't be silly!" I shake my head.

"I'm not?" she laughs.

"AHEM!" someone rudely clears their throat behind me.

"Oh shit..." I hear Nathan whisper.

"Do you mind?" she yells.

I don't say anything, I am so confused.

"How dare you think that you can take Cameron away from me!" she shouts right in my face.

My brain puts everything together and it all clicks and falls into place. I feel a sharp pain in my chest and I start to feel sick.

Rachel, what the hell? What are you doing? You shouldn't be feeling like this?

"Stay away from him, or I will make you wish you never moved to this school!" she flips her hair and struts off.

I sit there, rapidly blinking my eyes, stunned about what just happened.

"And that was Veronica, the most popular girl at school," Emma rolls her eyes and Estelle mimics Veronica, flipping her hair.

Emma and Estelle burst into laughter, and Nathan and I join in.