Chapter Three

Kelsie gasped at the sight of the diamond. Or at least she thought it was a diamond. It didn’t look quite right to be a topaz, and the yellow was not that bright. It was more a white-yellow than anything else.

  “Is it a diamond?” Kelsie voiced to her brother.

  He shook his head, gaping at the sparkling rock. Nathaniel was covered head to toe in dirt from his fall. Broken wood lay around where he stood over the stone.

  “Don’t touch it!” Kelsie screamed as he extended his hand.

  He leaped back in surprise. “Jeeze, Kels! Don’t do that!”

  Kelsie frowned. “I’m not joking, stupid. I’ve seen too many movies and read too many books. Don’t freaking touch that diamond!”

  Nathaniel gave his sister a withering look. “Oh, Kelsie! Don’t be such a girl!”

  Kelsie glared at him, but kept her mouth shut as he bent down to retrieve the stone.

  Nothing happened. There were no booby traps, the floor didn’t open up beneath him, no aliens suddenly exploded into the sky. Kelsie let herself breathe again.

  Nathaniel, diamond in hand, smirked triumphantly. “See? What’d I tell you? No harm to it.”

  Kelsie rolled her eyes. “Right, well that’s all well and good, but how do you expect to get out of that hole?”

  Nathaniel glanced around for the first time. His lips became a hard line. “Well, I don’t s’pose you could find a ladder or anything?”

  Kelsie sighed, standing to her feet. “Fine. You just stay put. Don’t try anything.”

  “No worries about that,” he muttered.

  Kelsie treaded carefully back off the porch, but she never fell through. She looked around for any sign of a shed. Surely an odd mansion with buried diamonds had to have a shed?

  At last, she spotted one. It was nearly covered by weeds and she feared snakes lurked inside of the tall grass, but Kelsie walked over to the shed door anyway. She had to get her idiotic brother out of that damned hole.

  She was mildly surprised when the door ended up being unlocked and walked in. It was full of cobwebs and very musky. Kelsie sneezed as dust flew up her unprotected nose. The shed was too small to fit a very long ladder, but she scoped it out anyway. Just as she had suspected, though, Kelsie could not see any signs of a ladder. She did, however, find a lengthy rope that would do just as well.

  She turned to leave the shed and bumped into something. Looking up, she realized that ‘something’ was in fact a ‘someone’, and that this someone was the most handsome man she had ever seen.

  I stopped writing, wondering just how handsome to make this mystery man. I had decided to add him on a whim, so he did not yet have a name. I pondered over names for a while, but eventually saved my document and left my room in search of something to eat. The name would come to me randomly, as all character names came to me when I wasn’t even looking for a name. Sometimes I based the entire story on a name.

  “Ah, she returns from her cave,” my mom teased.

  I looked her up and down curiously. There was no doubt about it; she was going on a date. She had a sleek red dress that stopped just above her knees, showing off her killer calves and black heels. The thing that tipped me off the most was the ruby red lipstick. She always wore red lipstick when she was going out.