Chapter Twenty-One

“Girl’s day Saturday! Bring your mom!” Piper had declared rather obnoxiously after work Thursday.

  Liam all but begged me to take her away from the house. Apparently, at six months pregnant, he was going a little crazy. Er, well, Piper was going a little crazy, which, in turn, was making him crazy. Ah, to be practically newly wedded and having a baby!

  When I told my mom Friday night that we were s’posed to have a girl’s day with Piper and Maddie, she had given me a weird, motherly sort of look. “Are you sure you’re up to it?”

  I had tried not to get pissy about her comment. I had, after all, gone a little bit off the wall only a few days prior. It’s just I wasn’t used to my mom being…..well, a mom. It got confusing sometimes when she switched really fast from BFF to mother. And lately? She’d been the latter; and it was starting to drive me nuts.

  Sawyer called Saturday morning, which kind of surprised me since he’s been avoiding me. I didn’t really mind, as I was avoiding him myself. Apparently his British charms weren’t working on me this time and I could stay peeved with him.

  Or not, I realized, when an hour later I gave in and called him back. “Are you still disappointed in me?” I asked when he picked up.

  “Oh, Kodi, you’re so adorable.”

  He said he was coming over and I didn’t argue. I told him I’d meet him on the porch with my dog, just in case. Lately he’d taken to calling Riggins the demon dog. Apparently the rapidly growing mutt didn’t take to Sawyer like how he had with Leander. Often times I’d teased Leander about dating me for my dog. He had confessed to the crime on several occasions. I got the sense he was only half teasing.

  So, even though I called Sawyer back, I was still ready for a fight if he wanted it. But when he walked up to me with his hands in his pockets, his puppy-like face completely open, I just laughed and gave him a big hug.

  “I really hate you,” I told him, poking him in the chest.

  “Clearly.” He grimaced when Riggins bolted toward us and jumped all over him.

  “Down!” I scolded. Riggs listened for once.

  Sawyer raised a brow. “Well, then. Looks like the little buggar has some manners after all.”

  I giggled. “I love it when you talk British.”

  Sawyer flashed a sideways grin. And just like that, we were good. I knew he still didn’t like the fact that I was dating my arrogant neighbor, but I also knew he wouldn’t say anything more on the subject.

  We sat on the porch, talking, until Piper’s old white truck pulled into the drive. I had almost completely forgotten.

  “Oh, um….” I grinned innocently up at Sawyer. “I forgot I had a girl’s day today.”

  He held up his hands, making a face. “Say no more, I’m out of here.”

  I giggled and gave him another hug. “I’ll see you later.”

  Sawyer was really nice in the fact that he introduced himself to Piper as he was leaving. I really, really hoped she wasn’t cranky today.

  “Hey guys,” I greeted. “Just a sec, I’ll get my…..Oh. Nevermind then.”

  The door opened and my mom stepped out. On her heels was La Bitch. My immediate frown must have given me away, because Mom stated, “I invited Kaitlyn to join us. Is that alright?”

  “Absolutely!” Piper said a little too cheerfully. “More the merrier.”

  I gave Maddie a helpless look. She shrugged helplessly in return.