Chapter Seven

• Dedicated to All My Patient Fans

    I was pissed with my mom. We were supposed to tour Lewisburg this weekend. I had everything planned out from my outfit to what makeup would match it. It must seem stupid, being super excited about touring a small southern town with my mom. But we did this sort of thing all the time. And I liked it. Call me crazy.

  But, at literally the last second, Alaric showed up all dazzling like and whisked my mom off her feet. She asked me, of course, if I minded that she went out with him instead. Like the martyr I am, I said no, of course I didn’t mind.

  Really, I was fuming. How could she already be ditching me for a guy she barely knew? Ugh! I felt like screaming at the top of my lungs in my frustration. Yeah, maybe I was being melodramatic, but a girl is entitled to her pity parties.

  Maybe I was about to start my period. That would explain why I was getting all worked up about something so stupid.

  I wasn’t going to answer my phone when it started going crazy. I was going to mope around on the couch, eating Rice Krispie Treats. But something made me get up and answer my dumb cell phone anyway.

  “Hello?” I asked. I hadn’t recognized the number, but that wasn’t really shocking. I barely remembered my mom’s cell number.

  “Hey, Lucky Charms!” Maddie said brightly. “So listen, you got plans?”

  “For when?”

  “For now!”

  I frowned in remembrance of my spoiled plans. “Not anymore.”

  “Well, then, I’m swinging by your house,” she announced. “We’re having a girl’s day.”

  “We?” I asked, hoping she didn’t bring a bunch of strangers along with her. I wasn’t in the mood for crowds.

  “Me, you, and my sister-in-law.” Maddie snorted. “She’s older, but she’s cool. And she’s pregnant so she’s begging me to get out of the house.”

  “Piper?”

  “Oh, right!” Maddie laughed. “I forgot you know them.”

  “I’m working for them,” I said, not remembering if I’d told her that already.

  “That’s cool. Liam tried to get me to do it, but I’ve got my own horses to take care of.”

  “Jeeze. Does everyone in Tennessee have horses?”

  Maddie laughed. “Almost. So, you in or what?”

  I debated. It would serve my mom right if I did go. She obviously didn’t care what I was up to. I shrugged. “Yeah. I guess I am.”

  “Great! Cause we’re pulling into your drive-way right now.”

  I glanced outside the window. Sure enough, there was a white truck sitting in my drive-way. I smiled to myself. “I’ll be out in a sec.”

  Lewisburg was more boring than I thought. But that was what was kinda cool about it, honestly. Piper assured me that if I was looking for trouble, that the small town had its dark places. I didn’t care about the corners, though. I was never one for causing drama.

  “So, your friend Lulu,” I started. We were having lunch at this Chinese restaurant called China Wok. “I kinda overheard some stuff the other day when you two were talking. I wasn’t eavesdropping.”

  Piper smiled. “Nah, I don’t think you were.” She sighed. “She’s got her issues. She blabs to anyone who’ll hear her out so she won’t mind me telling you some things. Besides, you already know half of it. It’s kinda typical, really. Married her high school boyfriend, got divorced, and now he’s engaged to one of our friends from high school. It’s just a mess. I don’t really get Cameron. I used to like him, but now….”