Chapter Five

I hate neighbors. Have I mentioned that before? Well, now I have. Can you honestly tell me that you have ever had a neighbor you liked? Friends don’t count, because you practically live at their house.

  You had the busy-bodies. They were the first ones to greet you into your new home with a plate of cookies, just to see what kind of people were going to be living next door/across the street. They had the nice, neighborly approach, but behind your back they judged you.

  Then you had the grumpy ones. The ones who hated your dog and vice versa.

  And then the partiers. Need I go into detail about these specimens?

  Leander was a partier. Every time his dad was out of the house for more than two hours (usually with my mom), Leander was sure to be throwing a party that usually got out of hand. And yet I never, ever witnessed him get busted for it. If I threw a party, my mom would kill me, as cool as she was. She was still a mom, and she hated her home being invaded by people she did not personally invite over.

  Now was one of those times. Alaric and my mom were in Nashville (again) and Leander was celebrating big time. I mean, you could just tell this was a big one; the kind with important people attending. I couldn’t resist crashing it.

  I called Sawyer up, smirking like a gremlin. He picked up on the second ring, as usual. Ever since our purely plutonic date, we had been pretty cool. He was a really awesome guy, and I was very lucky that he befriended me. The new girl and new guy; how typical. Well, new kids had to stick out for eachother, as Sawyer kept telling me.

  “Wanna crash country boy’s party with me?”

  Sawyer snorted. “Girl, you know you can’t crash that party without me! Unlike you, I actually know other people in town. You need me to keep you from becoming a social outcast.”

  “Third degree burn!” I laughed. “Dude, that hurts. I will totally crash this party without you.”

  “But it won’t be nearly as fun,” he pointed out.

  “That is the dilemma at hand.”

  He said heavily. “Fine, if I must.”

  I grinned triumphantly. “Yes, you must! See you in a few!”

  I didn’t bother getting all dressed up. I pulled my hair out of its ponytail and put on some makeup, but I kept on my skinny jeans and off white halter top.

  Sawyer was waiting for me on my front porch. He grinned at me as he scanned me up and down. “How long did it take you to get ready?”

  “Why? Do I look rushed?” I asked, putting my hand to my hair instinctively.

  Sawyer shook his head. “No, no. Not at all. You look great. True party-crasher style.”

  I snorted. “If I wanted to be really authentic, I would have dressed up like Nicholas Cage in Valley Girl.”

  “Love that movie.” Sawyer started down the porch steps, figuring I would just follow.

  I did. “Oh my God, Sawyer,” I laughed. “You’re so girly sometimes.”

  “What? I can’t like a classic movie just cause I’m a guy?” He snorted. “Sexist.”

  I rolled my eyes. “Well, it’s kinda girly, don’t you think?”

  He shrugged. “It’s not something I’ve seen more than once, but it’s appreciated.”

  I walked ahead of them, giggling silently.