Chapter Twelve

Jason didn’t say anything as he helped me home. He knew I was drunk, even though I was by no means in a sloshed state. Just bubbly and stumbly. But when we got home, he lit into me.

  “What the hell, Kodi?” he yelled. “I thought you were done with this partying shit?”

  I shook my head, dropping onto the couch. “I am. This is just….a bad moment.”

  “You promised, Kodi,” Jason continued. “You promised after all the shit with Dad!”

  “An I kept my promise!” I shouted back. “I just got goated into it, is all. And don’t you dare bring Dad into this, either! ‘Sides, I’m not even that drunk.”

  Jason rolled his eyes. “You think that really matters?”

  I rubbed my temples. “Jeeze, can’t you just let it go?”

  “Did you even know anyone there?”

  “Yes,” I said defensively. “I make friends easily, Jason. I’m not a social outcast, you know.”

  Jason was about to say something when Riggins trotted into the room, wagging is tail happily. “What the hell is that?”

  “It’s a dog, dumbass.” Why couldn’t he just let me be happy to see him already?

  Jason’s face darkened and I knew he was thinking of what a traitor I was in getting a new dog.

  I was rather pissed with him at that moment, so I snapped, “Seriously, dude. Just chill the crap out.” I got up from the couch with a groan, shuffling toward my room. “Feel free to make your own sorta bed. Night.”

  “Kodi!” he called after me. “Kodi, we’re not done here!”

  “Yeah, well, I am. An last time I checked you’re not my daddy.”

  “He’s not exactly here, now, is he?”

  I whirled around, glaring at Jason. While he had no problem talking about Dad, I refused to. I refused to even listen. “Good night, Jason,” I growled before slamming my door shut.

  As soon as I came out of my room, everyone was staring at me. Just one look at my mom told me that Jason had ratted me out. I groaned inwardly, not anticipating the morning screaming.

  “Kodi,” Mom said carefully. “Would you come over here a quick sec?”

  I rolled my eyes, not forgetting to shoot Jason an accusing look before sitting at the kitchen table. I stared expectedly at my older brother. “I think you’ve done enough. You can go now.”

  Jason looked at Mom.

  She nodded. “Let me talk to your sister.”

  It wasn’t until he was outside that my mom lit into me, too.

  “Kodi, you know I don’t get after you for many things,” she started. “But I will not tolerate you coming home sloppily drunk.”

  “Mom, I wasn’t even that drunk,” I muttered in my defense.

  “That’s not what Jason says.”

  “Well, Jason likes to elaborate.”

  Mom took a deep breath and sighed through her nose. “Regardless. You know the rules and I seem to remember a certain girl swearing not to be drinking under age at parties. Or under age drinking at all. I don’t need to remind you where that gets people.”