Chapter Six

I was impressed, to say the least. Well, I guess I shouldn’t be. He was a pretty hot guy, after all. However, this just proved how little the girl knew Leander Verona.

  Unfortunately one of my two windows gave a clear shot to Leander’s bedroom window. Currently he was hooking up with a blonde with big boobs and a bony ass. Why did I know this? Glad you asked. I walked right into my room and bam! Clear shot at the little scene.

  I pulled my blinds down, but I still couldn’t concentrate on my writing. It didn’t feel private anymore. I was quite disturbed by the earlier scene still. And even though I couldn’t hear anything, I still felt invaded somehow.

  Giving up, I moped into the living room. My mom had had her new boyfriend, Satan’s father, set up our cable and what not. Currently, Brenda was lounging on the worn out black leather couch, watching House M.D.

  I rolled my eyes, sitting next to her. “I can’t believe you still like this show.”

  Mom looked at me for a brief second before returning to the dramatic scene at hand where Chase is sexy, Foreman is annoying, and Wilson is adorable. “Of course I do. I’ve stuck with it this long, haven’t I?”

  I laughed softly. “I just feel so unhealthy when I watch this. Like, I don’t wanna end up like any of House’s patients.”

  “I know right?” Mom agreed, but I knew she was still totally absorbed.

  I paid a little better attention to what was going on in the show. It was the fifth season, one of the first episodes where Jennifer Grey plays a new mom to a cancerous baby. I frowned. “Oh, I hate this one. Doesn’t she die?”

  My mom gave me a withering look. “Well, thanks for ruining it.”

  “Oh, give me a break,” I scolded. “Like you haven’t seen every last episode.”

  She thought it over. “Hmm. True.”

  I grinned in my mini triumph.

  “So,” I said after a while. “You wanna do anything today? I mean, I know you’ve traveled all of Tennessee by now, but I haven’t even covered Lewisburg yet.”

  Mom rolled her eyes. “I have not! And anyway, why didn’t you have your new friend take you around town?” She grew a wicked grin. “He seems nice.”

  “Mom!” I chastised in horror. Some things would never change; every daughter is s’posed to be embarrassed about boys.

  “What? I’m just saying!”

  I rolled my eyes. “I wanted to tour the town with you. We keep missing eachother, you know? I mean, I know you get all busy with your new man, but…..”

  “Which reminds me,” she said seriously. “I’m a terrible mother and friend. I never asked you how you felt about me dating Alaric.”

  “I don’t mind Alaric at all.”

  “It’s his son.”

  “Mom, he’s the devil!”

  Mom rolled her eyes. “I’m sure he’s not that bad.”

  I didn’t pursue the subject. I was tired of discussing what a douche bag Leander was. In some ways, I was sure my mom believed me. If she wasn’t dating Alaric, she definitely would believe me, and be on my side, even. But she was trying not to completely hate her new boyfriend’s son, and I understood that.

  We both jumped as the house phone began ringing. It didn’t ring very often. Everyone we knew called our cell phones. Why we even had a home phone, I would never know.