Chapter Two

The very next morning, my mom met a doctor. I didn’t know how she did it!

  “Well, I was getting the morning paper,” my mom told me. I eyed her suspicously in her fresh face and hair, wearing too short shorts and a very low tank top, showing off her enviable bust. That was an explanation in and of itself. “And so was he. So I said a quick hello and he asked if I had just moved in. And bada bing, bada boom! He’s recruiting his son to help unload the truck!”

  I nibbled at my very burnt toast; the very reason I never cooked. “How much later?” I looked like crap with my hair in a high ponytail, no makeup on, and boxer shorts on. This was definitely not the look I wanted meeting my next door neighbors.

  My mom glanced at the clock. “Bout an hour.”

  I jumped to my feet, running to the bathroom. “I’m off, then!”

  “Oh, honey!” my mom chided. “You don’t hafta get all dolled up!”

  “This coming from the woman who fools men into thinking she looks like that every morning!” I said, quickly brushing my teeth.

  “You’re still young. You can get away with having no makeup.”

  I glared at my reflection before sticking my tongue out at the sloppy looking girl staring back at me.

  My mom appeared in the doorframe, giving one of her rare mom looks. “Honey. You’re beautiful.”

  I scrubbed cleaner all over my face, snorting a laugh. “Bad timing?”

  She laughed. “Not hardly. Just be quick, alright? I would appreciate you to be with me to make me behave.”

  I smirked. “Oooh, this doctor’s cute then.”

  “Aren’t all doctors cute?” Mom laughed, walking out.

  I shook my head. Only our second day here and she was already scamming on guys. Shameful hussy! “I really hope he’s not married!” I called after her as she walked away.

  “He didn’t have a ring.”

  “That could just mean he took it off!”

  “True. But he did mention he was single.”

  I rolled my eyes. “With no prompting from you, I’m sure.” I turned the faucet on, splashing cool water all over my face.

  “Not at all!” my mom laughed.

  A year without Dad and she was already putting herself on the market. I tried not to be frustrated with her. She was still young and still a knock out. I would wanna fool around, too, after being married for eighteen years. I just wished my mother didn’t feel the same.

  An hour later, I hardly looked better, but it would have to do. As promised, my mom’s friendly doctor was very punctual. He arrived exactly an hour later with not one, but three other people.

  One guy was very young—maybe in his early twenties—and I couldn’t help gawking at him. His light brown hair was mostly covered by a very worn out baseball cap and his hazel eyes shadowed, but he was still gorgeous; in a very good ol’ boy way. Alas, to my disappointment, he had a wedding band on.

  I could only guess the pretty brunette next to him was his wife, as they stood very close to eachother. She looked to be his age, maybe a little younger. I was totally in envy of her bright green eyes. The good thing about hazel eyes is that with certain makeup they can look more brown or green, and I always tried to get the green to show. They ended up looking more olive, whereas this girl’s eyes were a shade dark than a grape.