Chapter Thirty-One

I woke up the next morning feeling refreshed and, well, awesome. It felt good getting everything out and on the table; especially to Sawyer. I knew he would never tell anyone what I told him the other day. And it felt really good not to regret getting into something with him.

And then I had to go to school.

To tell the truth, I didn't honestly think about what a big deal that was until I actually got to school. When Sawyer slipped his hand into mine, I definitely did not miss the glare Leander shot our way. I hated that I felt empowered that it pissed him off; not that he'd ever admit it.

"Promise me you won't get into a big punching match today?" I asked Sawyer through gritted teeth as we passed the good ol' boy crew.

He didn't act like he didn't know what I meant. "No promises," he returned with a fabulous smile that sent my heart racing.

I let it go, promising myself that I wouldn't let Leander get to me even if he did decide to say something. Somehow I knew he wouldn't, though.

"You guys are so gosh darn cute," Maddie gushed as Sawyer and I went our separate ways for classes.

I rolled my eyes, blushing all the while. "Whatever, Madds. Hey, where's your boyfriend?"

Her cheeks immediately turned a rosy pink. "He's not my boyfriend......yet. Anyway, don't change the subject! When're y'all going out on a real date? Or do you just make out on your couch and call that dating?"

I reached over and slugged her arm. "Shut up. We do not make out on my couch. And, to answer your ever persistent question, we're going out this Friday."

Maddie squealed, clapping her hands gleefully. "Where's he takin' you?"

"I don't know. He said it was a surprise."

She sighed dramatically. "If only I'd stolen him from you while I had the chance!"

"Yeah, why didn't you?"

"Cause I like me a good ol' cowboy!"

We laughed a little louder than was necessary. But that's what happens when two girls are completely smitten with boys.

"Maddie, it really is accurate."

While one of my friends was laughing his head off, the other stared at me with wide hazel eyes. "Nah-uh," Maddie protested. "Acre-ate."

That got Sawyer laughing even harder. He so wasn't helping. It was getting harder to keep a straight face. She was dead serious! Sixteen years old and didn't know how to say accurate!

"Accurate," I said slowly, purposefully over enunciating. "Say it with me. Acc-ur-ate."

Maddie shook her head. "Whatever. It is what it is. Sawyer can't say certain words right, either!"

I rounded on my kind of boyfriend and raised a brow. "You can't?"

He grinned wryly.

"Like what can't you say?"

"Can't, for one," he said, saying it like 'con't'.

"That so doesn't sound right," I giggled. "So, you con't say aunt like ahnt?"

He nodded sheepishly.

"Say ant."

"Ant."

"See! You say that perfectly normal! Now say aunt like your aunt May."

"I don't have an ahnt May."

I burst into a giggle fit, Maddie right behind me.

Sawyer's amused demeanor faded and he frowned pouting at the two of us. "I'm sure there are things you can't say."