Chapter Sixteen

I had been looking forward to Belle Mead all week, and now that the time had come I could hardly stand it! Alaric and Leander had bummed a ride off of one of their friends, having given us very thorough directions the day before. Leander had been very careful to not let me see him all dressed up.

  “I want you to get the full affect Saturday,” he’d told me Thursday with wink.

  The dresses Alaric borrowed for my mom and me were absolutely breath taking. They were beautiful without being over the top gorgeous—like the satin dresses used in flashbacks of The Vampire Diaries; I wasn’t a history buff, but even I knew Katherine’s entire attire was ridiculously inaccurate.

  My day dress was so totally me it was surprising I had made it myself. The beautiful, full skirt was a dark blue with small black flowers and a black trim. The top was a solid black with the same blue material on the cuffs and suffocating neckline. It also came with a black cotton belt with a large diamond like shape in the middle; to hide the lines between the skirt and blouse. Alaric told me this was the dress of one of the reenactor’s daughters. Apparently she liked black a lot, but she never really went to events much. I was very grateful to her for lending me the outfit, hoop skirt, and pantaloons.

  My ball gown was what I would describe as Cinderella-esque. The blouse was off the shoulders with white lace and lace quarter sleeves. There was a built in corset in the baby blue top. The skirt was the same baby blue with white lace trim. When it was all put together, it was absolutely gorgeous.

  My mom’s day dress rivaled mine, to be sure. Her skirt was a green and purple floral design, the top a darker purple with the floral neckline and cuffs. Her ball gown was a dark green with the same basic design as mine; only her blouse was not off the shoulders. I told her it made her look like a sexy mermaid. Her dark hair complimented both dresses very well.

  Getting into the car with the hoop skirts had been the real challenge. Alaric showed us how to fold it up just right—in case of emergency potty breaks—but he’d made it look so easy! My mom, after a few tries, just ditched the hoop skirt for the hour drive up there.

  “I hope you brought a change of clothes,” she muttered as she clumsily got into the driver’s seat.

  I smirked. “I did, but it’s not like I’ll use them. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity here! I am wearing these babies for as long as it takes!”

  “Oh, really? Are you going to wear them into Steak’N’Shake, too?”

  I paused, considering going into Steak’N’Shake in a hoop skirt. “Okay, so I might ditch the outfit after the ball. But didn’t Alaric say there was a dinner?”

  My mom nodded. “But I’m not gonna be able to eat in that thing. Are you?”

  I shook my head quickly. “Man, you are so much smarter than me.”

  Mom grinned triumphantly at me. “Of course I am, dear.”

  I stuck my tongue out at her as she pulled out of the drive. Jason and Kaitlyn opted to stay home. Apparently the whole Civil War scene wasn’t for my dear brother. Bullshit. Putting aside the fact that he’d been the one to bring up the historical question last week, I saw the way his eyes lit up when Alaric invited us to come. I also saw the way he deflated when Kaitlyn declined Alaric’s offer.

  The control over my brother was starting much sooner than I’d thought it ever would. If she was brazen enough to be like this before they were married and after she’d ripped his heart out, how would she be when they were actually married?

  But, no. I didn’t know anything when it came to relationships. Jason knew everything about Kaitlyn. He loved her.

  If that was where love got you, then count me out!