Chapter Thirty-Five

I stared at myself in the long mirror, feeling completely and utterly like a princess…..

A really ridiculous, prom-obsessed princess.

Oh, God! Why, oh why, did I let my mom talk me into being a freaking bridesmaid? I didn’t wanna be Kaitlyn’s maid for the freaking world! And yet here I was; standing in a dress meant for the Prom Queen. It was crafty of her, but low. Everyone’s bridesmaids dresses looked exactly the same—and therefore equally stupid—but I knew better.

Kaitlyn planned this. She based her entire bridesmaid wardrobe on my discomfort. It was the only explanation as to why a person would voluntarily pick something this awful.

If it wasn’t just in my head, and I strongly suspected it wasn’t, I kinda had to commend her a little. Silently, of course. I would never give her the benefit of knowing she’d pulled a fast one on me.

The dress was a really soft yellow, which did make my hair look great. The top was strapless with a bunch of sewn beads stitched into the bodice. The skirt wasn’t as full as I wanted to make it out to be, but it was still floor length and still full enough. We even had these black half sweater thingies to cover up if we so chose—which is, to say, after the actual ceremony.

And anyway, for all the bitching that was going on through my mind, I was glad to be out of the house. The Masons had arrived just a few hours ago. I felt bad about not saying hi to Dan, as I still loved him. Not bad enough to go to their hotel and give them all a personal greeting. Ain’t no way, as my southern counterpart would say.

“Oh, Kodi!” my mom gushed. “You look beautiful!”

I turned around and frowned at her. If anything confirmed my suspicion that Kaitlyn was making me wear this awful dress it was seeing my mother. As always, the woman was gorgeous, appearing years younger than she actually was. She got to pick her own dress, so I suppose that helped things. Her dress was loosely fitted and very flowy at the knee length skirt. It was a floral design with aqua, browns, and black twisted into the flowers and vines.

“Couldn’t you look like a real mom for once?” I muttered, only half kidding.

Mom decided I was entirely kidding, though. With a bubbly smile on her face, she twirled a little. “As opposed to what? Sexy fine?”

I closed my eyes and shook my head.

Her laughter echoed through the entire dress store. “Oh, chill out. Would you rather me wear a baggy T-shirt and sweat pants?”

I gave her a deadpan stare.

My sarcastic mother just giggled and twirled away.

Rolling my eyes, I went back to sticking my tongue out at my reflection. She looked like a total brainless prep.

Kaitlyn, on the other hand, actually took some resemblance of looking pretty. Okay, that was something I couldn’t criticize her on. The girl was gorgeous; it was true. Her honey blonde hair fell past her shoulders, blue-green eyes wide as she stood there awaiting our responses to her wedding dress.

It was simple and a bit retro. The top was strapless with a stitched in a quarter sleeved lace covering. The skirt was sleek and long, the dress impossibly white. She looked great in it, I had to admit.

Her friends practically screamed at her how dazzling she looked and how Jason wouldn’t know what to do with her.

That was where I left in the excuse of changing out of the prom dress. I just couldn’t listen to them gab on about my brother and their wedding night. As if they hadn’t already had several wedding nights. Ewwww. Sooooo not thinking about that!