Chapter Thirty-Three

“It was so romantic, Kodi! I couldn’t have envisioned a better date even if I tried!” Maddie gushed. She took her time telling me about how amazing the car was and how much fun they had on the way to Franklin, what they did in Franklin, where they ate…..Basically everything except what I was dying to know.

  For a while I played up the cool friend bit and listened to her incessant babble before I just lost it completely. “So did he kiss you?”

  “Kodi!” my friend whined. “I was getting there. Why do you always hafta interrupt me?”

  “Whatever. Just tell me. I’m dying here!”

  Maddie giggled, all rainbows and butterflies. “Yes!”

  I threw my fist into the air. “Yes! How was it? Everything you dreamed it would be?”

  “And more! It was really sweet, nothing pushy. I wanted to kiss him some more, but we’re going out again Sunday, so I’ll bet there’ll be plenty time for kissing.”

  “Oh my gosh, Maddie, I’m so happy for you!” I cooed. “You really deserve to have a nice boyfriend.”

  “He’s not my boyfriend yet, Kodi. Sheesh.” But I could tell by the sound of her voice that she was completely thrilled by the prospect of ‘yet’. “Anyway, how was your magnificent date? What was the big surprise?”

  “Fondue,” I answered excitedly. “And it was amazing. But that’s not even the best part.”

  I began telling her all about Sawyer’s exceptional kiss on the porch—and, of course, I couldn’t resist leaving out the Leander bit.

  “You think he saw you two making out?” Maddie asked.

  “I don’t know. Maybe.” I hadn’t actually considered that last night. How embarrassing. “I don’t know, Mads. Sometimes I just think it’d be better if I moved. I mean, girls have to deal with break ups all the time, granted not as extreme as mine was. But it makes it worse living next door to him.”

  “Do you still have feelings for him?” 

  “Oh, plenty,” I snorted. “I feel like I could smash his face in with his mailbox. Does that count?”

  Maddie giggled. “I don’t think so. Well, yeah, it sucks, but now you have a real boyfriend who treats you right and is completely real.”

  “Yeah,” I agreed.

 “You’re totally grinning right now. Sawyer as your boyfriend is just too much.”

  This time, it was my turn to giggle. “You think he’s my boyfriend?”

  “Definitely on that road.”

  “Hmm,” I hummed happily, not even pretending to act nonchalant about that statement.