Attempting to Fly Again

"What if I fall off again?" 

"That's not going to happen, Ellie." 

"How do you know?" 

"Because, the best broom flier in the world is teaching you...me!" I stared at Draco as he handed me his old Nimbus 2000. It was the third day I had been at the Malfoy Manor, and he had been telling me since I arrived that I was going to learn to fly. "Seriously, you will be fine." 

"Yeah," I breathed. I really didn't want to try flying again, but I didn't want to disappoint Draco, so I added, "I know." 

"And the lake isn't frozen this time!" He laughed and I forced a small smile. "Anyway, mount it!" 

"Huh?" 

"Put it between your legs." 

"Oh." I blushed and did so. 

"Now kick off!"  

"But, Draco-" 

"Just do it!" I starred at him for a moment. I couldn't believe that he had just snapped at me. Finally, I closed my eyes tight and did as I was told. 

Suddenly, I was rising into the air and then... nothing. My legs were dangling limply. I opened my eyes to see that they were right above Draco's head. I let out a sigh of relief and loosed my grip around the front of the stick.  

"Draco..." I looked down at him and accidentally kicked him in the head. 

"Ow!" He pushed my foot out of the way. "Watch it!" Then, with annoyance in his voice, he added. "See? Your fine!... Gumby!" The house elf appeared beside him and bowed. 

"Yes, little master?"  

"Go get my broom...and be quick about it!" 

"Yes, Little Master?" Gumby bowed again and Disapparated. A few minutes later he returned with a Nimbus 2001. 

"Does Little Master want anything else? Gumby a good elf! Gumby want to please Little Master!" The elf grabbed Draco's arm. 

"Don't touch me!" He sneered and hit the elf so hard that it fell to the ground. 

"Gumby sorry, Little Master!" He got to his knees and begged for forgiveness. "Gumby wants to be good elf! Please forgive Gumby! Gumby good! Gumby good!" The elf started to sob. 

"Yeah, whatever." Draco sneered, put his leg over the broom, and rose into the air beside me. "Now, lean forward a little bit." 

I leaned forward as he said and started quickly flying through the air. 

"AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!" 

"I said lean forward a bit!" He repeated. I sat up and it suddenly halted. 

"There." He flew up beside me again. "Now do it again, but not too far." I leaned back over (but not as far as the first time) and began to fly forward at a leisurely pace. I let out another sigh of relief. Draco caught up to me and started to fly along beside me. 

"Didn't I tell you that I was the best flyer?" He reached over and took my hand. I gripped the stick tighter with my left hand. "Relax, your fine. Now we are going to fly higher. Lift the front of the broom up." As I hesitated he started to rise higher, dragging me by the hand.  

"DRACO!" I screamed as I started to loose my balance. "DRACO! DRACO! DRA-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A--A-A-A-A-A-A--A-ACO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OO-O-O-O!" I was free falling off the broom, helplessly grasping the air. 

"AHH! DRACO-O-O!" 

"Thud!" I suddenly landed on something. 

"Ow!" I exclaimed as I felt something snap underneath me. Opening my eyes I saw that I had landed with my legs on top of Lucius and my bum sitting between two halves of his cane.