Much Worse Than Floating

Recap: I shut my eyes, preparing for the impact of the solid ground...

Story Start::

But... it never came. Something was wrapped around me, obviously the thing that had cushioned my fall. But I couldn't get myself to open my eyes. What if I had like... Just gone poof, or something? What if I was back in that dream world with Mai?

Curiosity getting the best of me, I opened my emerald eyes slowly, peeking at whatever had saved me. My eyes widened once I realized that, you guessed it, Sasuke was the one who caught me.

Time seemed to freeze, everything focused on how his onyx orbs hypnotized my own emerald ones; how suddenly I was lost in his stare. He held me in his arms bridal style, a pinkish tint appearing across his cheeks. Thanks to that, I felt the flush of my own cheeks and looked away.

Naruto, being his usually loud self, broke the silence. "OH MY GOD! MINXIE! I AM SO SORRY!" He yelled, running over to Sasuke and I.

The Uchiha put me down easily, and I tried to not feel disappointed. Wait, say what? No. No, no, no, no, no! BAD THOUGHTS!

"It's... Okay, Naruto. I'm fine," I said, but the blonde didn't look convinced. He apologized and apologized over and over again. It took Sakura pummeling him to get him to quiet down. Kakashi and Sakura had joined us, both of them eyeing me to make sure I was okay.

"Your wound didn't open, right?" My sensei asked. I put a hand to my stomach and shook my head. He sighed in relief, turning to Sasuke. "Good job, Sasuke," He acknowledged. The raven-haired boy merely nodded, and I resisted the urge to facepalm.

Eventually, Naruto began his training exercise again, and Sakura went up in her tree, too. Kakashi-sensei left to get some rest, and since Sakura and I passed, we were free to do whatever we wanted. After a while, Sakura left, too, since she had exhausted most of her chakra.

But I stood there with Naruto and Sasuke, watching them. They hadn't made much progress. They seemed to be having a really hard time sticking to the tree...

I cornered Sasuke while he was grumbling to himself and glaring at his tree.

"Hey," I said, leaning against the tree he had been training on.

"Hey..." He said, a fine eyebrow raised. "You're talking to me again?"

"Uh, yeah... Look, I wanted to thank you. For, you know... Catching me," I said quietly.

"Hn... We're even now," He said simply.

I did a double-take. "We're... even?" I asked, baffled. That was all he had to say to me? He couldn't just say you're welcome? He couldn't say that my life actually meant something to him?

'Of course he can't,' a voice in my head reminded, 'he's Sasuke Uchihafor crying out loud. He doesn't care about anyone.'

"Yeah, we're even. You saved me, I saved you. Done," He said.