The Secret Of The Scrolls

Kabuto's POV

My team met us at the tower's doors, scolding me for being late.

"Sorry, guys. I ran into a little trouble along the way," I explained, Naruto's team following behind me.

"Thanks for everything, Kabuto! Thanks to you, we've got a full set of scrolls!" Naruto said, grinning at me as he scratched his head. Oh, how easily he was fooled by me...

I kept up my act and said, "Don't thank me. You've earned them. The way you beat those guys in the end was amazing, Naruto. You too, Minxie."

The brunette merely rolled her eyes, supporting Sasuke's weight with her own as his arm was slung around her shoulders. "Whatever..."

I smirked. Obviously, she couldn't stand me. And she had all reason to not like me, considering who I really was, although she didn't know that.

"Good luck, to all of you. Do your best!" I said, smiling at them convincingly.

"Yeah!" Naruto agreed, grinning at me one last time before entering the tower with his team. Minxie rolled her eyes one more time before proceeding into the tower with Sasuke by her side.

Once the door was closed, my team and I edged closer to our door, and I smirked as I felt a familiar dark presence around me.

"How did they do?" The menacing voice that I served asked.

"They've both completed all their projections, sir... I've recorded their progress on this card," I said, handing him the dossier with all of their information.

"And how were they?" He inquired, taking the card from my hand.

"Heh... Are you worried, Lord Orochimaru?" I asked, a smirk playing its way onto my face.

"No... Just wondering your opinion as one of my Sound Ninja spies," He said easily.

"The decision is always yours alone, my lord. My opinion isn't really necessary," I replied, healing the scar I had gotten across my nose easily.

"Heh... According to this card... You seem to be far from our precious Minxie's favorite person," He said, grinning that twisted grin of his.

I smirked. "Well, she seems to dislike me rather greatly... Both she and Sasuke seem to not trust me."

He grinned like a maniac. "Heh... They're both sharp in whom to trust and not to trust... But I came here with a second purpose."

"What is it, my lord?"

"I want you... To stay in the exams. Don't back out like you usually do."

My eyes widened slightly at his request. For years, I always forfeited the exams... But what made this time any different? "Lord Orochimaru... Not to question your authority... But what makes this year any different from the years of the past? Do I have a specific purpose for staying in the exams?"

"As sharp as ever, eh? Well, Kabuto... I've made arrangements for you to fight Minxie in the next part of the exam. She, unlike Sasuke, does not possess the heart of an avenger, so roping her in will be more of a challenge," He explained.

I tilted my head slightly. "But she's of the Takeda clan, is she not? The need for power courses through her veins, just like it did in her brother. I mean, he's still in that organization, isn't he?"

"Yes, he is... Such a shame, all of that power of his wasted on a feeble organization... And at such a young age, as well. It's sad, really... Things would be different if we were able to rope him in from the beginning. However, we couldn't. Ryuu Takeda was always stronger than I..." He muttered, his eyes dancing with the memories of the boy whom we'd encountered a few years ago.