Chapter 1-An Introduction

Bones sighed in frustration as he boarded the ship that would fly him to the Enterprise. 

"Bones relax! This isn't some crazy mission or a man-hunt." He heard James Kirk say as he was patted on the shoulder. Bones shook his head and sighed.

"Then what is it?" Bones questioned.

"We're just patrolling. Nothing big." Kirk replied as he sat down in the front with Spock. Bones sat right behind him.

"Are you sure it's nothing more than patrolling?" He questioned. Kirk turned his head.

"Would I ever lie to you?" He asked, his bright blue eyes gleaming with mischief.

"Yes." Bones replied as he began buckling up for the ride. After a few minutes passed, Kirk realized they were still loading.

"Who are we waiting for?" He questioned to himself. Kirk, Spock, and Bones all looked back at the doorway to see a girl not a day older than fifteen. Her dark brown hair was messy and flowed down to her hip. She walked over to Kirk with worry and excitement sparkling in her tree brown eyes. When she walked up to his seat, she tried to say something, but fear grabbed her tongue. The only thing she could force out was 'here' while she handed him a thin card that projected something. As Kirk began reading the projected screen, a smile crept on his face. 

"Looks like you got yourself an apprentice Bones!" He chuckled while holding out his hand to the girl. She shook it and smiled with excitement at his acceptance. Bones glared at Kirk. 

"I have a WHAT-now?" Bones exclaimed. Kirk turned around to face him and smiled.

"Your going to have a-"

"Yeah, yeah, I got that part, but why?" Bones interrupted. Kirk shrugged. 

"It says here this girl excelled in her medical school and is training to be a medical officer. Sound familiar?" Bones narrowed his eyes at Kirk's remark. "Anyways, the school wanted her to get some experience at it. So while she's with us, the school will be registering her to a higher ranked medical school." Kirk continued. 

"So why didn't she go on another patrolling ship?" Bones questioned.

"It says here that they wanted her to be taught by one of the professionals, and the only available one riding a ship was you." Kirk's smile grew as Bones frowned. 

"Welcome aboard Cassandra." Kirk exclaimed as he turned around and smiled at her. 

"Captain." Spock intruded. Kirk and Bones turned to him. "Are you sure it is safe to let her on board the Enterprise? We wouldn't want her to be injured when she returns home-"

"It's just a patrol mission. What's the worst that could happen?" 

"The worst possibilities seem to favor our presence."  Spock reminded him. Kirk chuckled and turned back to her.

"Well on this trip, she'll come home safe and sound." Kirk replied. Suddenly, the small ship jerked slightly to the left.

"You can have a seat right by Dr. McCoy." He said while fastening his seat belt. When Cassandra sat right by Bones, he turned his head to face the window. He was furious that he had absolutely no say in this and Kirk was completely fine with it. Then again, that's how he always is. When Cassandra turned to him to say hello, she frowned. His dark brown eyes were looking in every direction but her's. Her eyes grew glassy as she sighed and looked the other way.

He looks pretty mad.... She thought to herself. but he doesn't hate me,maybe he's just mad that I walked in so suddenly. She couldn't let this get her down, now right now.  She couldn't let her emotions show.  

I'm in a room full of adults! I shouldn't make my first impression as a crybaby. She had to be like Spock right now. And besides,

she couldn't be sad if she was a flight away from the U.S.S Enterprise.