Chapter 10

"Those are too pink, my dear."

"Mayhap these white ones?"

"They look dead darling. How about these yellow and white ones?"

"My lord! No ones uses sunflowers for a wedding!"

Lady Rivers yelled in exasperation.

Sapphire tried to hide her laughter but failed miserably. They had left as soon as they broke their fast, it was just after noon now. Since their arrival, lord Rivers had turned down every single flower presented to him, with the most outrageous excuses.

"Don't be so hard on him aunt Katherine, everything needs to be perfect." Sapphire smiled.

Lady Rivers huffed in annoyance while trying to find better flowers.

"This is really entertaining." Isabella whispered to Sapphire.

"Very, hadn't I told you it would be?" Sapphire smirked.

They both glanced at the couple as they began to bicker once again.

"But these dandelions are ever so, what do you ladies say, ah pretty, yes pretty. They'd look wonderful."

Taking a deep breath, lady Rivers began, " my lord, as the wind picks up, they shall loose their beauty."

"How so?"

"The wind shall blow away their err petals, leaving only the bud." Lady Rivers finished off, not exactly sure what the delicate white part of the flower was called.

"Tis wonderful! It shall express our grief!" Lord Rivers exclaimed. He hid his amusement well, looking genuinely happy with the idea.

"Lord Jonathan Mckenzie Rivers, stop your-"

That's as far as she got before lord Rivers cut her off.

Pulling his wife onto his lap, lord Rivers began in a low voice, not appropriate for virgin ears.

"My lady, you know what happens when you say my name in anger..." Before giving her a kiss which was more than a mere peck.

"Oh the Almighty!" Sapphire and Isabella grumbled while looking away.

Sapphire found her aunt and uncle adorable, she wasn't embarrassed by their affection towards each other , but at times, she'd rather not look.

Nudging Isabella, Sapphire spoke,

"Where's lord Xavier?"

"Hmmm" Isabella mummers as a blissful smile formed on her lips.

Sapphire chuckled at her friends antics, but let her be. She was allowed to fantasize. Sapphire looked towards all the beautiful flowers which occuppied the garden. Each held a beauty of it's own. There were soo many different flowers, she didn't know how they would choose, then again, Isabella was fond of the delicate type. Sapphire was pulled from her thoughts as Isabella nudged her.

"Mother planned the food tasting for tomorrow, she thought with father coming along we wouldn't get much done."

"Tis true." Sapphire smirked, " uncle John was very excited to come."

"I didn't believe it at first, thought he was jesting." Isabella said, but the happiness of her father being there was evident.

"Nay." Sapphire shook her head, " he wanted to come." Sapphire just gave him the push he needed.

"Isabella! Sapphire! Come look at the flowers." Lord Rivers called out to his daughters. He would have to finish business with his wife later.

"Oh papa! They are lovely!" Isabella spoke with tears in her eyes.

"Don't cry now, my dear." Lord Rivers chided softly.

The flowers were pink and white roses. Lord and lady Rivers had picked out every size possible. The scent of the flowers alone had Sapphire smiling. Indeed they were very lovely. She was sure her uncle would pick a fine pair, and she wasn't proven wrong.

"Let's retire for the night, shall we?" Lord Rivers spoke.

Tristan's back was covered with sweat as he fought off his opponent.

"Very good Edward, a bit more practice and you may participate in battle."

"Tristan!"

Tristan looked over his shoulder to see lord Xavier running his way.

"This better be good." Tristan muttered once his friend was in hearing distance.

"Why are you always jousting."

Tristan stared blankly at his friend, then ever so slowly, as if speaking to a child, explained.

"I'm a knight Xavier, that's what I do."

"Aye, I know. But all the time?"

Tristan shrugged his shoulders, he knew it was unuasal for a noble, let alone the only heir, to become a knight for his own pleasure.

"Aye, I must practice with the men."

"Forget this, you shall accompany me on the morrow. We must taste food for the wedding."

"Is your mother not going?" Tristan asked.

"Aye she is, but she wants us both to attend."

"What am I to do there?"

" Eat food." Lord Xavier said, as if Tristan should already know.

" I shall see you in the morrow." Lord Xavier said as he turned to leave.

Tristan nearly groaned out loud. He had no desire to go anywhere near the Rivers. It would only make him be near lady Dracmore, a being which has haunted his dreams night after night; thus the reason for his excessive jousting. He was being hard on his men, but he was equally as frustrated. The chit was making a most aggressive side of him come forth. A side he wished to supress. He wasn't naive in the matters of men and women, but he did not wish to go to a common whore. Lord knows, it would only lead to more gossip. Tristan prepared his water for abolution. He had to go, Xavier was more than a friend to him.

"And where do you think you are going, my lady?" Lord Rivers asked Sapphire.

"To bathe?" Sapphire asked, confused.

"You have not had a single match in two days."

Lord Rivers informed, his left eyebrow raised ever so slightly, daring Sapphire to contradict.

"It appears so. Shall we then?"

"Change your attire and meet me in five minutes."

"Focus Sapphire! You should not be rusty, it's only been two days."

"I'm sorry uncle John, I'm just extremely tired." Sapphire explained while blocking the sword which came her way.

Lord Rivers expression softened as his eyes filled with pain.

"Focus the frustration on combat."

Lord Rivers brought his sword to the left, Sapphire swiftly moved out the way,faked a left, then striked her uncle on his right arm, drawing blood.

"Very good," lord Rivers proclaimed before drawing blood from Sapphires left arm.

"However, you let the praise go to your head, a distraction."

All the while , even as they spoke, their dance of combat did not lessen.

Sapphire vigilantly kept an eye on her uncles sword, as well as his feet. He strikes, while she dodges. Lord Rivers tripped Sapphire, causing her to fall on her back. He brought the sword done for the finish, only to have Sapphire roll over. As she got to her knees, lord Rivers shot again, making both swords clash as each held their own. The weight of both swords, as well as having pressure on her upper body, began taking its toll on Sapphire. She would fall under both swords if she didn't make a move soon.

Sapphire quickly searched with her eyes, bracing her self, and putting ever more stress on her upper body, Sapphire took one leg to her uncles knee, causing him to buckle over. Sapphire got out of the way just in time. Quickly standing up, she rested her sword on her uncles chest.

"Your move."

Lord Rivers brought out his knee to kick Sapphire, being one step ahead of him, Sapphire moved out the way, causing him to kick air.

"What is the meaning of this!"

"Tristan ! Let us go, we need to go to the Rivers manor."

Tristan quietly listened to lord Xavier's rant as he got dressed. No need to respond, not that Xavier would give him a chance......

"Welcome, lord Knight, lord Mannings." Lady Rivers greeted the men.

"Margaret, bring in refreshments."

"No need lady Rivers- "lord Xavier began.

"Nonsense, are you not a part of this family now?"

"Well, ye-"

"It's settled then." Lady Rivers beamed.

"Where are you going?" Lord Xavier called out to Tristan, who was presently leaving the room.

"Well, I'm not going to sit here like a lass waiting for tea and biscuits."

Lord Tristan called over his shoulder as he stepped out the room.

Tristan walked along the corridor, it'd been so long since he'd been here. Tristan looked at the beautiful paintings which covered the wall, they were truly exquisite and new, Tristan noticed. As he turned around, he came to a halt. The sight that beheld him had him bewitched!

Tristan peered through the window at lady Dracmore, dressed in a tunic and a pair of trousers. Rogue tendrils surrounded her face. Sweat made her clothes stick to her body as a second skin. Tristan felt his breeches tightening. She held the sword with a skill that most did not acquire. Elegantly she blocked lord Rivers blows, delivering her own as well. Tristan was mesmerized, though was it her beauty or her skill with the sword, he knew not. What he did know, was that her body clad in a tunic which clutched her skin, would haunt his dreams until his body received what it sought. Her breasts, her every curves, were visible to him. Never had he tasted such desire.

Tristan watched as the dark beauty fell to the floor. He watched, amazed, how she kept her own. Sapphire dodged her uncle, turning the tables. He took noticed of her bleeding arm, as well as the Lord of the manors own wound.

Teeth clenched, jaw taunt, Tristan continued to watch, his own feelings in turmoil. He would love to have a dual with this particular maiden, if only to infuriate himself more.

A shrill screech pulled Tristan from his not so innocent thoughts.

He watched lady Rivers enraged face.

"Aunt Katherine," Sapphire began to explain, "we haven't had a single match in two days!"

"But at this hour!" Lady Rivers hissed. "Lord Knight as well as Manning have arrived. You Sapphire, have yet to bathe, as do you my lord."

"We will get to it immediately Katherine." Lord Rivers signed, his wife was something else.

Shaking her head, Sapphire turned around only to freeze. Standing as a ghost by the window, was lord Knight.

Comment and vote ;)