Chapter 9

"This color looks marvelous! Absolutely wonderful!" Lady Rivers exclaimed in excitement.

Sapphire looked out the window as she stood on the stool. It was past noon, they had been shopping since early morning. She could hear her stomach growl, she was beyond famished!

"Sapphire what do you think of this?"

Sapphire looked at Isabella who stood next to her in an ivory bridal gown. Giving her a bright, honest smile, Sapphire replied.

"This dress looks amazing Isabella, truly beautiful."

"Do you really think so? Should I purchase this one or the cream and lace one?"

"You've worn enough cream and lace. This is lovely, you look beautiful."

Turning towards her aunt, Sapphire called out, " aunt Katherine! I think we've found the dress!"

Lady Rivers hurried over to Sapphire, she examined the dress, but not before lightly scolding Sapphire about her hollering like a hooligan.

"Isabella, honey. "Lady Rivers began tearfully, "my baby, you look amazing, utterly beautiful."

Sapphire smiled happily as she watched her aunt and friend get teary eyed. Just seeing them made the torture of waking up early and shopping worthwhile.

"This is perfect, I'll have it!" Lady Rivers announced to the shop keeper.

"Now we just need to find something for my dear Sapphire."

"I've got a purple dress which may do the trick." The lady said as she rushed off to retrieve it.

"Aunt Katherine, I have so many dresses, surely I can wear one of them." Sapphire tried to persuade her aunt.

"Nonsense dear! No daughter of mine will wear an old dress. We simply must purchase a new one."

"I agree with mama Sapphire, you should get a new one." Isabella said cheerfully, her tears all but forgotten.

Sapphire rolled her eyes in annoyance but kept her mouth shut, no point in arguing.

Sapphire stared at the jewelry in dismay. Thank The Lord the purple dress met aunt Katherine's standards, but the jewelry didn't seem as fortunate. They'd been to over five different shops, none of which met aunt Katherine's approval.

"Isabella, this gold piece would do lovely with the dress."

Isabella looked at the delicate necklace and stud earrings, muttering her approval. For such a tiny thing, Sapphire found the price outrageous.

"Sapphire, have you found anything? I know you have an eye for the dangly type."

Sapphire huffed in annoyance as aunt Katherine criticized her taste in earrings. She couldn't help it if she liked them slightly longer than most.

"I like this one."

The necklace was a silver chain with a lilac tear drop pendant. The earrings were a mix of amethyst and lilac stones. It would come down to mid jaw once Sapphire wore them. The earrings spiraled together in a unique fashion, each stone trying to succeed the other. The dress itself was deep purple in color. The lilac and amethyst would compliment the dress in a wonderful manner.

"This is lovely, I suppose I can't change your mind regarding the earrings?" Lady Rivers asked with a hopeful expression on her face.

"No you can't, aunt Kat."

"Very well, but please, I believe we had a discussion regarding my name."

Sapphire grinned wickedly before nodding. Her aunt hated the nickname with passion.

" How was your girls day?" Lord Rivers asked a tired looking Sapphire.

"Fascinating." Sapphires voice oozed of sarcasm. It was well into the night when they returned. Sapphire was surprised her uncle hadn't come looking for them.

"Don't be so put out darling, you still have to go flower, tablecloth, shoes, and food shopping." Lord Rivers counted cheekily off his fingers.

Sapphire narrowed her eyes before a slow, fairly cruel, smile curved her lips. Her eyes which looked ever so tired, sparkled with mischief.

"Oh aunt Katherine." Sapphire sang.

"What is it dear." Lady Rivers asked as she took a seat beside her husband.

"Uncle John said he wanted to join us for the flower and food shopping, I think we should do that tomorrow. It'd be better if we only took one day away from his work rather than two, he looked awfully hopeful......" Sapphire trailed off..

"Why honey, why didn't you say so! That's a wonderful idea. Isabella will be so excited! Let me go tell her your joining us tomorrow. Oh dear, I have to switch some things around, but not to worry!" Lady Rivers babbled on excitedly.

"You cretin!" Lord Rivers stared at Sapphire in horror.

"How can you betray me as such."

"Take it like a man, my lord. Should have thought twice before taunting me." Sapphire smirked.

Lord Rivers stared at his daughter before letting out a heart warming laugh.

"How about we make the day memorable for the both of us."

"Uncle John! Do you plan on-"

"Lord no! I merely plan on being extremely picky, it is my daughters wedding after all." Lord Rivers grinned.

Sapphire shook her head at his antics.

"We'll see what the day shall bring, goodnight."

"Goodnight sweetheart." Lord Rivers called out.

He stared at her retrieving form, the smile slowly disappearing from his face. He knew Sapphire was tired because she hadn't gotten her sleep. He prayed her exhaustion would let her sleep tonight.

"My wedding attire has arrived."

"Quit your fretting Xavier you're not a girl."

"What if she doesn't show?"

"There's enough time before the wedding, I'd understand your behavior if it was the night before, not now!"

Tristan growled.

"Mate, I'm just..." Lord Xavier trailed off.

"Listen, it's alright, you're not a lass, no more fretting. What are you going to do tomorrow when we go with them?" Tristan questioned.

"Relax, what's really on your mind?"

"Well, I guess I just love her so much and I, well I was a rogue and-"

"Xavier Manning, I never thought I'd see the day the rogue would begin to act like a wee lass."

While Tristan's face remained as hard as stone, his eyes shone with mirth.

"Tristan!" Xavier grumbled, "now is not the time to make fun of me!"

"Go drink some scotch, you'll feel better."

"I thought you hated scotch, or any drink for that matter."

"I do, but you don't."

Tristan stared out the window as Xavier worried himself. He didn't understand why the bizarre behavior. There was time until the wedding, but his friend insisted on acting like a delusional monkey. Nay, Tristan shook his head, he'd be insulting the monkey with the comparison.

"Are you listening!" Xavier half asked half shouted in exasperation.

"No."

"Sometimes , I wish you'd be a bit more helpful, talk maybe, act like you used to." Xavier said ever so quietly.

Tristan's back remained facing his friend. Though he had heard him, he didn't say otherwise. He chose to be a man of few words.

Without turning, Tristan spoke, just as softly,

"Sometimes, no, all the time, things happen for the better, even if we may disagree. You're worried about your marriage, as you should. Marriage is a freighting concept. I haven't forgotten as to why you became a rogue. Melissa hurt you, you began bedding everything which walked. Isabella is different. Melissa is a slut, as was her mother. Isabella'a upbringing was different. She wouldn't have fallen in love without you unless she wanted to commit."

"She has eyes only for you. Don't let your past overshadow your future. If you begin comparing Isabella with Melissa, as you've already begun to do so, you'll loose her before you even get the chance to have her. The past is behind us for a reason, no need to keep looking back, as for your present and future, that's for you to decide. Melissa is your past, Isabella is your present, and if you allow, your future. Your fear is what will drive her away, you'll be pushing her away without realizing. In the past week, you haven't written a single letter to her, or met her in secret."

Xavier looked down in shame, what ever Tristan had said was true. He was so lost in thought, he didn't notice Tristan approaching.

"The choice is yours." Tristan said as he gave Xavier's shoulder a pat.

"You're right mate, I can't loose Isabella."

Forgetting the tense atmosphere at hand, Xavier grinned brashly,

"Was that so hard."

"Shut it." Tristan growled.

"Where are you going?"

Xavier yelled to Tristan's retreating form.

"I have jousting to do."

Once again, I've taken liberties with the jewelry.