Chapter 42

Tristan kissed the top of Sapphire's sleeping form. Though he didn't want to move, his body had a mind of its own. Three nights without relieving oneself could be rather bothersome. He gently tried to pry Sapphire off of him, only to have her cry out.

"No!" The cry, if only in her sleep, had Tristan stilling.
She was petrified, refusing to let him go. She clutched on to him tighter, her nails digging into his dressing and skin, nearly drawing blood.

"It's alright love, I'm right here." Tristan soothed as he tried to calm her down, her hands fisted so tight he was afraid she might break them. What had gotten her so afraid?
Tristan frowned as he tried to recall the last time she had a nightmare....
She didn't have night terrors whilst asleep with him, why now? It didn't make sense. Had they gotten worst? Her one simple scream, one simple no, was filled with more pain and anguish than he could bear. He had to discover what caused her such distress, he wouldn't be at peace with himself until then.

Tristan was still contemplating, and frowning, when there was a knock on the door. Without waiting for a response, the person opened the door, allowing themselves entry.

"Do you make it a habit to invite yourself into rooms which are not yours, my lord?" Tristan asked dryly.

Lord Rivers blinked, once and then twice, before walking over to Tristan and delivering a blow to his head.

"What in the devils name is wrong with you!" Tristan hissed, trying not to wake Sapphire from her sleep, lord Rivers was not exactly known for a lite hand.

"You really are awake." Lord Rivers mumbled before taking a seat and offering Tristan a smirk.

His son was finally awake. After three agonizing days he was awake and healthy, and he only had God to thank for it. Many horrible thoughts had crossed his mind in the past couple of days. The boy couldn't have woken up fast enough, hence why he was hit.

"Took you long enough." Lord Rivers said with a slight scowl, as if waking up was in Tristan's control.

Tristan scowled.

"That does not give you the right to enter my room when you wish and hit me." Tristan growled, shifting so he could be more comfortable, being mindful of Sapphires comfort as well.

"I have every right." Lord Rivers said with a snort.

Tristan ran his hand down his face in frustration. There was no winning with the older lord, it was best if he kept his mouth shut.

"When did you wake?" Lord Rivers questioned, crossing his leg over the other in the process. His locks slightly disheveled from training. he had worked the men hard, most of them were not able to lift their swords by the time he was done.

Tristan frowned thoughtfully before answering.

"Mayhap an hours time now, I am not certain."

"And you did not think it necessary to inform us?" Lord Rivers questioned dryly.

"I had more important matters to tend to." Tristan answered with a slight shrug as he moved a stray lock away from Sapphire's face.

Lord Rivers hummed low in his throat, opting to stay quiet.

"I was unconscious for three nights?" Tristan questioned as he unconsciously rubbed Sapphire's back.