Chapter 54

54

She ran as fast as she could, but as hard as she may have tried, she was not fast enough. The cackling laughter followed in her wake. Unlike her previous nightmares, she was not stuck in a wall watching the horrors unfold, she was living them. Moment after moment, never ending in its torture....

"Where are ye running off to, my sweet? Come to me. There is no use in running, I will find ye."

Sapphire ran faster and faster. She had to get away from the mean man. Sapphire ran into a room, slipping on something that had been spilled on the floor. She got to her knees, her white dress coated in a red liquid. Blood. She had slipped in blood. Where had the blood come from? She couldn't breath, she was dizzy. Sapphire looked behind her, her father's dead person stared at her. She let out a small scream in terror. He couldn't be dead! He couldn't...

"Papa, papa, please wake up. Papa please!" Sapphire pleaded as tears cascaded down her pale cheeks.

Some distance away lay her mother, also dead. Sapphire crawled towards her, whimpering slightly at her mother's disheveled state.

"Mamma, mamma please! I promise to behave, mamma please!" Sapphire begged.

She stared at the fetus which was supposed to be her younger sibling. She couldn't breathe. What did her parents do to him? To be treated in such a manner? What did the unborn child do? To be so cruelly punished before being able to take its first breaths?
Slowly, the scene began to change. She was no longer a child of ten, but a woman of eighteen summers.

Sapphire looked around frantically, more dead bodies occupied the room, the floor covered in blood.

"Tristan! Oh God! No!" Tristan!"

Her screams were beginning to sound borderline hysterical.

"Tristan! Wake up! Please!" He couldn't be gone! She... He... Couldn't...No!

She crawled to the figure next to him. Desperation and horror making her movements jerky.

"Uncle John! Uncle John! You promised me you would not leave! Uncle John please wake up! Tristan's not waking up, please do something!" Sapphire sobbed uncontrollably.

Another figure materialized beside him.

"Aunt Kat..." Sapphire whispered in horror as more tears cascaded down her cheeks.

"Aunt Kat, please, not you..."

Next to her, another body lay, unmoving.

Sapphire went towards her.

"Izzy..." Sapphire lamented as she stared at her stomach which had been pierced upon, her unborn child lay dead beside her.

"I see you have met all our guests."

Sapphire turned at the sound of the voice. With shaky legs, she stood up. Her white gown now a deep crimson.

"How could you!" Sapphire screamed in horror, her emotions making her voice jerky.

"It was verra easy, love."

Sapphire blanched at the second voice.

"You're sick, both of you!" Sapphire screamed as her legs threatened to give away.

"We do what we must." Corriane answered nonchalantly.

"I'll kill you." Sapphire whispered, her tears beginning to dry, a new hope, or perhaps it was sheer desperation, making itself known.