Chapter four

The lavishly decorated ballroom was filled with people. A mere commoner, one who doesn't have any knowledge regarding finery, would acknowledge that the host, of the present event, has taste.

A grand chandelier occupied the center of the room, miniature versions of it covered the vast ceiling. Upon entering the room, they, the chandeliers , would be the very first to be seen.

Men and women of all ages surrounded the room.

Women with low-cut dresses , with lace for modesty, laughed flirterciously at the men whom surrounded them. The more modest of women, who were considered ignorant for their innocence, occupied the walls.

Handsome, arrogant lords tried their luck around the room, giving warm smiles in the hope of having their bed warmed.

The room buzzed with chatter and excitement. Couples danced around the room, while elder gentlemen sipped their wine watching the game unfold.

Older women watched like hawks, waiting for a scandal to occur and have their vicious tongues spread it faster than lightening.

In the corner of the room, away from the spotlight, and crowd, stood lord Tristan along with lord Xavier.

" Do you think she's going to come?"

"Who? I hate these bloody events!"

"Lighten up." Lord Xavier said distantly. He was searching along the room in hope that she'd come.

"Who?" Tristan questioned once again.

"I've fallen in love." Lord Xavier told Tristan while looking him in the eye , conveying his honesty.

" The rake has fallen in love?"

Tristan asked amused, offering one of his very, very rare smile. If he'd been more generous of his smile alone, he would have stolen every women's heart, maiden or not. His beauty could not be compared to. Perhaps the only one who could outshine him would be Prophet Joseph himself.

" I have, I do not lie. When she's near I feel my life complete, and when she isn't, I .....I ...."

"You've fallen in love, well who is it? Judging by how you're looking around, it most be a noble?"

Tristan questioned. He was happy for his friends. He was glad a stop was coming to his way-ward ways.

"Yes, she is." As lord Xavier said this , a silence fell amongst the crowd. Everyone stared at the entrance, waiting for who so ever stood behind the threshold to grace them with their presence. Lord Xavier sucked in a sharp breath, hearing his mates intake of breath, Tristan looked towards the entrance, captivated.

"Which one is she?" Was all he could manage with the sight before him.

"The fair haired lass."

Tristan gave a slight nod of acknowledgement while his eyes remained on the one women who had miraculously caught his attention.

"Girls! Backs straight!"

Lady Rivers called out.

Sapphire and Isabella immediately corrected their posture. Sapphire stared at a distance, lost in the thought. For this was the first ball , or event for that matter, she had ever attended. She usually got away with it, but not this year it seems.

Isabella stood next to Sapphire wringing her gloved hands nervously.

"Sapphire..." Isabella began.

"Hmm."

"I ..I want you to meet someone tonight and give me your honest opinion."

Isabella got out nervously. The entire time her eyes had been fixed on her hands, refusing to gauge her best friends reaction. She was so terribly nervous!

"Of course." Sapphire nodded just as they were introduced to walk in.

"Welcome lady Rivers, lady Isabella." The host, a short plump man, with a kind smile and warm heart, greeted while placing a chaste kiss on their gloved knuckles.

"Thank you , lord Bell." Lady Rivers smiled warmly.

"Where is lord Rivers?"

"Oh I'm right here , old fool."

Lord Rivers smiled mischievously while coming up behind his wife.

" I was beginning to worry." Lord Bell laughed with good nature.

"Isabella has grown beautifully." He winked while watching her retreating form.

"Oh, you are too kind my lord."

Lady Rivers smiled.

"And who is this?" Lord Bell questioned , although his question was lite, the curiosity shined in his eyes.

Huddled behind lord Rivers, Sapphire took in her surroundings.

"This, " lord Rivers gestured, taking Sapphire away from her bubble of haven, " is lady Sapphire Dracmore."

"So the rumors, tis true?" Lord Bell asked surprised, yet delighted, as he gave Sapphire's gloved hand a tender, fatherly kiss.

"What rumors?" Lord Rivers asked lowly, but the anger could be detected from his voice. His posture going stiff.

Lord Bell smiled widely ," well, it was rumored that the gloriously beautiful lady Dracmore would be making an appearance tonight. Just look around, all the lords have noticed." His eyes twinkled with mirth as he finished speaking.

Lord Rivers looked around with a scowl on his face, as he noticed what the lord said was true. All the good for nothing lords were indeed staring in their direction!

"Tristan... Tristan!"

Lord Xavier called out irritated.

"Hmm ...what ?" Tristan question, finally turning away from the dark beauty that had captured his interest.

"What had you preoccupied?"

Lord Xavier asked as he followed his friends line if vision once again.

"Tis.....nay...but.."

Tristan scowled as he saw what, or rather who his friend was staring at.

"I thought you were in love??"

"Oh but I am."

"Pray tell me, why are you gawking at the lady."

"Oh you mean the raven beauty that has caught your interest?" Lord Xavier smirked knowingly.

Tristan's response was to send a dark, brooding look to his friend. Which of course, lord Xavier shrugged off, his friend was always brooding.

"That my lord, is lady Dracmore. I was 'gawking' as you so kindly put it, because its her first time being in society. Rumor had it she would make an appearance tonight. And I swear by The Lord , she is a sight to see!" Lord Xavier finished off.

" The lady Dracmore?"

"The very one. Now if you'll excuse me, the love of my life is coming."

" Good evening, my lady." Lord Xavier bowed to Isabella.

"Like wise." Isabella giggled.

"Tristan, I want you to meet lady Isabella Rivers. Isabella, this is lord Tristan Knight."

Isabella's eyes went wide slightly at the mention of Tristan, but other than that she supplied a well mannered answer. Tristan tipped his head in acknowledgment. Not even bothering to kiss her knuckles or offer a better greeting , it wasn't his norm.

"Do you think he will court her?" Lord Rivers asked as he watched his daughter twirl around in the arms of lord Xavier Manning.

" I think he will, the love can be seen in his eyes."

Sapphire replied.

" I sure hope so, or I might have to look over my sword collection."

Sapphire laughed lightly.

"A dance my pretty lady?"

Sapphire stared at the handsome face. But she could see the arrogance and false pride shining clearly in his eyes. Not to mention his lingering gaze on every part of her body but her eyes. She felt her uncle stiffen beside her. Pasting on a fake smile, she answered.

" Forgive me my lord, but I feel rather ill."

" Next time I suppose?"

"Indeed."

The arrogant prick bowed, with one lingering look at her bosom, he walked away.

"I will give aunt Katherine a piece of my mind regarding this gown!" Sapphire fumed.

Lord Rivers chuckled in response.

"Since you find my situation amusing, I shall be out in the gardens , call me when it is time to go."

"Of course my lady." Lord Rivers mocked.

"But Sapphire, be careful." He warned. She gave a nod, and went out the door. Watching her retreating form, lord Rivers sent a quick prayer for his daughters protection, before watching Isabella and her rake.

"Well, I bedded Lord Knight."

"You lie, he is a monk!"

The women hissed. They were shocked! For years they have tried to seduce lord Knight to no avail. And the worst whore of them all said she had managed?!

"Watch ladies."

Tristan tried making his way outside. He was tired of all the women , the men and the god awful wine! He needed to get out!

"Tristan." A woman tried purring, but it sounded like a dying cat, as she rubbed her hand along his arm. Looking down in distaste, he noticed it was none other than Sasha.

"Get. Out. Of. My . Way!" Tristan hissed. He was sick of her. For years she had been trying to seduce him.

" I can show you a good time ." She purred, along with a face Tristan thought sick. Only Lord knew what the men saw in her !

Smirking , he said " why don't you go there with the rest of the noble whores. I don't take anyone in my bed. Especially a whore!"

"You'll regret this!" She hissed. Her cheeks were red from embarrassment , the women had heard Tristan's every word.

Tristan continued on walking,but stopped . With out turning around he called out.

"Oh and Sasha, it's lord Knight to you."

...........