Chapter 33

"Sapphire!" The excitement could be clearly heard in Isabella's voice as she rushed towards Sapphire, meeting her half way. Isabella looked beautiful, radiant.
She hugged Sapphire tightly before turning towards Tristan, her demeanor turning hostile immediately.

"Tristan." Isabella said crossly, she was still upset at him and his men from the last time she had stayed. If he apologized for his rude behavior, then she would consider forgiving him. Perhaps. That matter was still up for debate.

His retort was on the tip of his tongue, but he thought better of it. He wouldn't signify her with a response, instead, he ignored her and turned towards lord Rivers and lord Mannings.

"My lord, Xavier." Tristan acknowledged.

Lord Rivers chuckled at Tristan's scowl, his temper seemed to be more foul than normal. Tristan cut a dark glare towards the older lord's grinning person. He didn't find the situation amusing what so ever.

"Tristan, how are you?"

"With guests coming at this hour? Wonderful." Tristan said sarcastically.
Xavier smirked, already accustomed to Tristan's retorts, Isabella was a different matter entirely.

"We're not guests, we are family." Isabella snapped.

Tristan acted as if she hadn't spoken, instead he kept his attention on Xavier.

"Are you hungry?"

"Something to eat would be nice." Xavier said as he smiled at Tristan. He missed his friend, he wasn't able to see him as often as he liked. Tristan gave one of his rare smiles and motioned towards the kitchens.

"Cook most likely has something put aside. My lord, are you not coming?" Tristan asked of lord Rivers.

"Of course I am, I had to come earlier than I anticipated."

"Your pupils await you." Tristan said with a ghost of a smile.

The men headed towards the kitchen while Sapphire and Isabella sat by the hearth.

"Aunt Kat didn't come with you?"

"Mother is residing with Xavier and I for the time being." Isabella said as she took a sip of her tea.

Concern covered Sapphires features as she watched her friend. She seemed fine but.....

"Is everything alright, Isabella?"

The smile which lightened Isabella's face was radiant and full of love. She took Sapphires hand and placed it atop the small, barely visible bump on her stomach. Sapphire let out a small gasp.

"You're...."

Isabella nodded while unshed tears glistened in her eyes.

"I am to be a mother, Sapphire. Can you believe it, a child is forming inside me." The wonder and awe was clear in her voice, as well as her actions as she softly caressed her stomach.

A mother! She were to be a mother! Isabella was ecstatic. She told Sapphire when she first learnt the news, how afraid she had been. She didn't know the first step of being a mother, how could she raise a child? When she had told Xavier the joy on his face had given her strength. Everything would be alright.
Since Xavier had learned she was expecting, he had been sweeter than usual. He was an amazing husband. Her vanity had her in tears. Isabella had thought after her child, she would have marks on her body, marking her ugly. Xavier held her until her tears had subsided, her snot on his clothes had left her mortified, Xavier payed it no mind. When there were no more tears left to waste, only then did he gently tell her he didn't care about the marks. All he cared about was the survival of his wife and babe.