Chapter one

Prologue

The strikingly beautiful woman, for indeed she was a great beauty, with eyes the color of molten gold and raven locks which were darker than the blackest of hearts, pale skin which contrasted greatly with said locks, skin a man wished to color with passion, bend over to wake her daughter from her peaceful slumber.

"Sapphire, darling, tis time to arise."

"Tis time to awaken? May I not indulge in sleep for some time?" Sapphire's sleep induced voice asked, already knowing the answer but asking nevertheless.

"You may not. Do you not wish to spend the day with Isabella?" Her mother questioned.

"Isabella is here?"

Sapphire now sat up, more alert.

Lady Dracmore nodded. "Yes. Uncle John as well as Aunt Katherine are here as well. They are staying the home they purchased the previous year. The one which is closer to our home, do you remember?"

"Yes, mamma."

"Excellent. Mary should be up shortly. Please be downstairs posthaste, we mustn't keep them waiting."

"Yes, mamma."

Lady Dracmore kissed her daughters check before leaving the room. She hummed softly as she made her way down the stairs. She was so very happy today! For today was the blessed day her along her husband had been graced with Sapphire ten wonderful summers ago. It seemed as if it were only yesterday lady Dracmore had given birth to Sapphire, and now...

Lady Dracmore shook her head, tears of happiness cascading down her cheeks. She was being rather silly. If Edward were to have seen her....the poor man would be distraught with worry.

She smiled at the servants as they passed by, making her way towards the forest which lay behind the manor. Sapphire loved berries and lady Dracmore not only wanted to make the pie herself, but also pick them as well. She put the basket in her left hand as she opened the gates, still humming softly, her whole being glowing. Perhaps it was this state of ecstasy which made her blind to the leering eyes staring at her, carefully hidden behind trees, as she bend to have a closer look at the berries.

Back in Sapphire's room, she stared longingly at her bed.

"Perhaps another day, my sweet." Sapphire promised as there was a soft knock on the door. She bid them entry.

"I have prepared your bath, milady."

"I thank ye, Mary, tis very kind of ye." Sapphire said humbly as she walked to her bathing chambers.

Mary blushed a deep red. Her lady was far too kind, her heart very gentle, just like her mothers. Mary was most fortunate to have been blessed to work at manor Dracmore. Mary followed Sapphire to the bathing chamber and quickly began helping her. Her ladyship had clearly stated to be quick.

Mary had just finished a simple side braid to Sapphire's hair when there was an eager knock on the door.

"Enter."

"Sapphire! You look lovely! Do you like my new dress? Tis a pretty color, is it not?"

Sapphire laughed softly.

"Tis very beautiful. You look lovely."

"We must hurry, papa said we are to go somewhere today."

"Alright," turning towards Mary, Sapphire said.

"Thank you for your assistance, it was most kind of you."

Mary's eye's sparkled with unshed tears, when she spoke her voice was hardly above a whisper.