Chapter 39

"Easy there."

Asher neighed in response, not slowing down. Lord Rivers gritted his teeth. The bloody beast was quick, could jump higher than any horse he'd seen. Lord Rivers was just as anxious to go where Asher wanted to take him, but the bloody beast did not give a care for his comfort.
The astonishing part was he let him ride it, then again, he was most likely the only other person it would allow to ride him besides Tristan.

Asher slowed to a trot as he stood in front of the bush where the arrow was shot from, staring at it with such hatred as if the plant itself had been the shooter.
Lord Rivers dismounted Asher, walking towards the bush, being careful with his steps.
The fool had been sloppy, his footprints remained intact, un disturbed. Lord Rivers smirked as he bent down to examine the footprint. Who would have thought, thank God for the snow!
The show size was average, a man's footprint. Their culprit was a man and that of average built and height.

Lord Rivers carefully traced the footprints, cursing harshly as he came to a dead end. Ten meters or so from the bush, the footprints had been wiped clear, erased. Other than disturbed snow, there was nothing. Their prey had help.

"Damnation!" Lord Rivers swore.

Asher came trotting towards him, watching him expectantly.

"We do not know who attacked. The footprints are gone."

Asher snorted for a horse, agitation rolling off of him in waves. Lord Rivers shook his head as he attempted to mount the horse, but Asher wasn't having any of it. He moved out the way, standing on his hind legs.

"Selfish beast! I can ride you when it is of your benefit but not when it benefits me?" Lord Rivers questioned in wry amusement.

Asher moved further away, beginning his journey back. Lord Rivers blew out a breath in exasperation. The damn beast was just as stubborn as his master, if not more.

"I'm just as worried about Tristan as you are, the faster I can get back, the faster I will be able to see how bad the damage is and hopefully have it taken care of." Lord Rivers said, reminded all too well of a similar conversation in the past, the damn beast was a mother hen!

Asher snorted.

"You trust me now, let me ride you." Lord Rivers said in exasperation.

Asher used his right hind leg to kick lord Rivers warningly.

Lord Rivers grunted in annoyance, but walked beside the horse. He walked twenty or so steps when he slowed to a stop. An arrow covered in blood lay besides a tree. Presumably the weapon Tristan had been attacked with, the still wet blood confirmed his suspicions.

Lord Rivers took the arrow, it would come in handy.

"One day, you will let me ride you." Lord Rivers muttered, not pursuing the matter. At the moment, he was more worried about Tristan. His entire tunic had been soaked with his blood, in his hurry to catch the culprit, he hadn't been able to assess the lad's injuries. A fact he greatly regretted.

"Ye bloody berk!"

Jack scoffed. "I did ye a favor. If he is injured, it makes our task easier."

"Like hell it does!" Andrew ran a hand down his face in frustration. His entire planning, months of scheming, would be destroyed in an instance! No thanks to this fool.