Chapter 61

Chapter 61

Shannon’s P.O.V:

“Wait, wait, wait a minute. What did you just say? How did I not know about this?”

Nikki just rolled her eyes and sat down on the couch, arranging herself in the lotus position. I’d never been able to do that. I focused my wistful thoughts again as Nikki spoke around her annoyingly amused smile; “Shan, you walk around in a daydream half the time. That’s why you didn’t know. There have been flyers up for at least a month.”

I just stared at her. “A month?”

She nodded, laughing at my obviously baffled expression.

We were interrupted by Alyssa bouncing out of her room, wearing a cute wool dress, her usual happy smiling brightening the room. “You told her?” she asked enthusiastically.

Nikki nodded, snorting with laughter when I narrowed my eyes at the both. “You knew?” I couldn’t help the accusation from leaking into my tone.

Nothing about her good mood slipped as she focused on me with a good humoured smile; “It’s not so much a case of me knowing about it, it’s more that you didn’t.”

I glowered at them and said nothing. It seemed I had a party to go to…and in only two weeks, though apparently advertisement for it had begun at least a month ago. “So it’s an annual thing?” I asked as Alyssa went out (she was meeting up with her boyfriend of ten months – to the day apparently).

Nikki nodded, “it’s usually held around Christmas but it’s late this year. It’s a really big event – proceeds go to charity…everyone will be there.”

Damn, I could tell by her tone that there would be no arguments about whether or not I would be attending – I’d be there, even if Nikki had to drag me. “And the dress code is?” I tried to sound enthusiastic (tried being the operative word) but a sense of dread came over me as the inevitability of what she was going to say sank in.

“Formal” she answered.

I slid down lower in my seat. “So that means…”

“Dress shopping” Nikki chimed in.

While I just sounded forlorn, Nikki positively radiated glee. It wasn’t just that I didn’t want to be dragged into too many expensive shops on the high street; I truly didn’t want to go to the event. I wasn’t in much of a social mood – right now anyway – and the thought of going to a formal did not make me happy.

I briefly wondered why Nick had never mentioned it – you know, before the whole Conor/Natalie fiasco. He would no doubt be there…had he not been planning on asking me?

At least now I could go single and not have to worry about a date. Nikki had suggested setting me up with somebody when she first told me in an excited rush that she’d bought tickets (yes, she got me one too…isn’t it wrong to presume or something?).

I put my foot down at the mention of a blind date – it wasn’t happening; no way, no how. Of course, that just brought to mind the possibility that Nick would bring a date. I mentally groaned – in that particular situation I’d probably have a very loud, very public meltdown. I couldn’t think of anything worse happening.

I shook my head in an attempt to clear my increasingly frazzled thoughts. It turned out that I didn’t have to worry as reality was literally knocked back into me as I ended up with a face full of fluffy pink cushion. What the fuck.