Chapter 48

Chapter 48

 Shannon’s P.O.V:

It seemed as though I’d made the right choice.

Nick grinned at me happily as he dragged me through the gates and into the playground.

I figured the playground would be the best place to go to just have fun and act like kids...and judging by the goofy smiles on my friend’s faces, my logic was pretty sound.

I looked around and was relieved to see that we were alone. I could just imagine the disapproving looks we’d get from parents trying to spend a nice day with their kids. Besides, knowing Mark, he’d probably get into a fight with a five year-old over who’d get to use the swings next – we’d probably be kicked out.

I pulled my camera from my pocket and snapped a picture of my four friends, all going in different directions.

I skipped after Jay, and when I caught up, linked my arm through his and pulled him over to the swings.

I felt like a little kid again as I started to go higher and higher, my stomach dropping slightly when I started my descent.

I put my heels down after a while, slowing myself down until I eventually skidded to a halt.

Jay continued to swing beside me, and I pulled out my camera again, snapping a photo of his laughing face. It was one of those pictures that had no posing or preparation – I preferred them, they were more natural.

I zoomed in on where Nick and Nicole were racing each other to the slide, before turning the lens on Mark.

When I looked back at the picture after taking it, I burst out laughing. I continued to laugh as I stared at the photo, until Jay eventually came to a halt beside me and whipped the camera out of my slack hands.

He burst into loud laughter, and that of course just spurred me on. We ended up leaning against each other, out of breath from laughing too much. I looked up to see Mark in still in the same position.

While Nick and Nicole had headed for the slide (they were now walking over to us to see what was so funny), Mark had walked straight over to the seesaw, on the other side of the playground.

You’d think the fact that he was alone would stop him, but no. He continued to push himself up and down on the seesaw, a wide happy smile on his face. Sometimes, I swear he’s a few sandwiches short of a picnic.

When the others reached us, Jay just silently held out the camera as we continued to lean on each other. Nicole took it and she and Nick put their heads close together to see what we were laughing at.

Nicole began to giggle and Nick’s lips twitched as they both turned to look at Mark – still on the seesaw.

‘He looks like such a creeper sitting over there by himself’ Nick said through his laughter, ‘he’s the epitome of Stranger Danger’

At that moment, Mark looked up to see all four of us staring at him, in stitches. He raised one hand and began to wave enthusiastically, completely oblivious to the fact that we were laughing at him.

I felt Nick take my hand and suddenly I was pulled from the swing. I glared at him as he sat down but didn’t get a chance to say anything before he pulled me down onto his lap.

I rolled my eyes but didn’t bother complaining – why would I? I loved being close to him.

‘That’s better’ he whispered, resting his head against mine as he interlinked our fingers.