Chapter 69

Chapter 69

Nick’s P.O.V:

I slept for most of the flight home. I was exhausted, having not been able to sleep much in days.

Truthfully though, I think I used the darkness of sleep as a form of escapism - an attempt to rid myself of the worries and anxiety that plagued my waking hours. It obviously wasn’t working too well.

Something was wrong with Shannon. Nothing too dramatic; she seemed perfectly healthy and fine…to someone who didn’t know her very well. I did know her though, probably better than almost anyone else in the world, and so; even though I couldn’t pinpoint the exact cause of what was bothering me, I knew something was wrong. I could feel it.

Just the fact that we were on a plane, worried me. It had only been two days since the funeral. Surely Shannon should spend more time with her family. I kept remembering the look of hurt on her parents’ faces when Shannon broke the news to, not only the family, but me as well, that we’d be leaving.

She told us at dinner the day after the funeral – she’d already booked the tickets.

Carol had tentatively protested, saying that there was no need to leave so abruptly, that the college would understand our absence. I tended to agree with her, but Shannon wouldn’t even listen, leaving the room instead of discussing it. Everybody had looked to me, but all I could do was shrug because I had no idea what was going on.

When I finally made it upstairs, Shannon was already in bed, pretending to be asleep. I didn’t say anything because I knew that if she wanted to talk she wouldn’t pretend to be asleep. And so, I spent yet another restless night feeling utterly helpless because I just didn’t know what to do.

When I got up this morning, Shannon was already gone. She took the dogs for a walk and didn’t return until an hour before we left for the airport. She’d barely spoken to me since, and then only when she had to – preferably in monosyllabic answers. It was making me even more worried than I already was.

It felt like any progress we’d made in the last few days concerning our relationship had been wiped away. Just like that.

I was glad the flight wasn’t long – I hadn’t really taken to flying. It wouldn’t be my preferred mode of transport, though I couldn’t argue with the convenience. My much-needed nap only made the time spent cooped up in my seat seem shorter – something I definitely wasn’t complaining about.

I woke up just as the pilot announced our descent. I rubbed my eyes blearily, surreptitiously glancing over at Shannon – she’d once again taken the window seat, but this time a middle-aged woman sat between us. The aisle seat afforded me more leg-room, but I didn’t like not being beside Shannon.

She was staring out the window, in practically the same position she’d been in an hour and a half ago. Fuck.

Resigning myself to the fact that it would still be a while before I could get out of my seat, I sat back and closed my eyes, rubbing my temples to stave off an oncoming headache. Hopefully Mark would be on time. As soon as I knew our flight time, I’d texted him, asking for a lift. He’d seemed surprised that we were coming home so early, but I’d refused to elaborate on the situation. Some things you just couldn’t put in a text – especially when I wasn’t entirely sure what that something was.