Epilogue

• Dedicated to My Readers.

I'd really recommend listening to this song while reading. Even if you usually ignore the song posted, I just think it works really well. 

***********************************************************************************

Epilogue

The sound of conversation and laughter slowly died down when I stood up. I gripped my glass in one hand, my palm slightly sweaty as I reached down with to adjust the beautifully simple pale gold dress Katie had chosen for her bridesmaids.

My heartbeat seemed to triple in pace as hundreds of eyes turned to look at me. Why had I thought this was a good idea?

I felt a hand slip into mine and squeeze once before letting go again, and I sent Nick a grateful smile. I focused on the clink of silver hitting glass and forced myself not to roll my eyes at my dad’s grinning face. He was so cheesy sometimes.

My gaze swept the room, taking in the crowd while simultaneously not letting myself focus on anyone’s face in particular. It would only make me more nervous than I already was. Now wasn’t the time to remember that I disliked being the centre of attention.

“Hi everyone” I started. “I know we’ve already done the speeches, and I know it’s a bit unusual for the sister of the groom to step forward but just bear with me – I swear you can go back to drinking in just a minute.”

I paused as a wave of laughter ran through the crowd, a few of the guests raising their glasses in agreement.

I turned slightly to where Adrian sat with his arm wrapped around Katie’s shoulders. She smiled at me encouragingly but Adrian only looked faintly puzzled. I hadn’t told him I was going to speak.

“As I’m sure you all know, Adrian’s best man couldn’t be here tonight, so I decided I would say a few words in his stead.”

The room seemed to still and I felt the gazes of everyone in the room move around the top table; the conspicuous absence of one person on everybody’s mind. There was a reason why Katie’s maid of honour had walked down the aisle alone earlier, and I wasn’t ashamed to admit I’d cried when Adrian told me that if Ryan couldn’t be his best man, he didn’t want one.

Beside the newlyweds I saw my mother wiping tears from her eyes and I felt my hand clench my glass just a bit tighter.

Taking a deep breath, I continued my speech, letting the words flow out of their own accord, trusting I’d say the right thing.

“I never wanted a sister. Growing up, I was perfectly happy with my two brothers and I was never angry with my parents for not giving me a sister – as if that was in their control.”

I nodded towards my parents, smiling slightly, glad to see them laughing – even through the tears.

“In fact I was always secretly glad when I heard my friends complaining endlessly about their sisters stealing their clothes and makeup, and just generally being a nuisance.”

I raised my eyebrow slightly at Adrian. “Make no mistake, having brothers is no walk in the park, but for the most part I was perfectly happy.”

Adrian winked at me as he leaned over to kiss Katie on the cheek. I took a deep breath, willing myself to continue.

“And then Katie came along, and things began to change” I said into the near silence and I had to push aside the awkward feeling that rose as a result of having the complete attention of so many people.