Chapter 56

Please don't kill me???? :O:O:O 

I love this song :)

Kaz xoxo

********************************************************************************************

Chapter 56

Mark’s P.O.V:

I was sitting watching some crap sitcom on TV, enjoying the apartment being empty for once – I was seriously contemplating walking around in my birthday suit – when the door opened. Well, it didn’t so much open as burst inwards.

I leaped out of my seat in surprise, turning towards the noise. I raised my hands defensively, ready to karate chop any burglars. They wouldn’t know what hit them – my ninja reflexes were always just below the surface…ready for anything. I dropped my hands though when I realised who it was.

Nick slammed the door behind him and I stood there in silence. I couldn’t speak. I was shocked. He looked awful; like he’d been out on an all-night bender, and was now severely hungover…and had he been crying? What the fuck was going on?

He was wearing grey tracksuit bottoms and a random hoodie with no t-shirt under it. The part of my brain that wasn’t struck dumb at the sight of him was kind of surprised. Nick generally went to Shannon these days if something had happened. “What’s wrong?” I asked with concern. I hadn’t seen him this upset about something since his mother slipped into a coma.

He looked up at me with dead eyes as if, until that moment, he hadn’t realised I was there; as if he’d made his way here on instinct without really thinking about it. “I fucked up” his voice sounded heartbroken and an ominous feeling settled heavily on my shoulders.

“What did you do?” I asked quietly.

“I…fuck!” He spun suddenly and punched the wall.

Let’s just say the wall didn’t stand a chance…poor thing, it was so young… I mentally slapped myself to keep my wayward thoughts on track. I looked at the fist-sized hole that now decorated the living room wall, pieces of plaster dropping sadly to the floor. “What did the wall ever do to you?” I tried for humour. It wasn’t appreciated.

Nick’s fist clenched again and I quickly stepped forward. One hole I could handle; two, not so much. I led him to the couch and pushed him onto it.

After muting the TV, I sat in the armchair and watched him expectantly. Any second now…

“I fucked up” he repeated, but this time I think he was calmer – if only slightly. “After Shannon and Conor got back to the apartment yesterday…” he paused as if trying to collect himself.

I recalled our conversation on the phone yesterday, and hoped that Nick had had the chance to apologise to Shannon. Lee should be the one blamed – not Shannon. Though judging by the state Nick was in now, something had gone wrong. I just didn’t know what.

“They went into her room” Nick continued, “and I thought…I thought…”

I felt horror wash over me…please no… “I thought they were together, you know? So I went out.”

I sighed quietly in relief. Theory number One; that Nick had killed Conor, and possibly Shannon as well, and buried them somewhere in the desert, could be officially crossed off my mental list. Wait, there’s no desert near London is there? Oh well. I’d dubbed the list; ‘Sherlock Mark’s list of possible reasons for Nick looking like shit’…and yes, I had mentally named myself Sherlock Mark…whatever, I could pull it off.