Chapter 65

Chapter 65

Nick’s P.O.V:

“Sweetheart?” I repeated, louder this time. Again, Shannon didn’t respond. She just continued to huddle on the floor beside the couch, sobs wracking her small frame.

“What the hell is wrong with her?” Carla sounded like she’d witnessed something particularly revolting. I hated her for it…even more than I already did. “Get out” I said softly as I approached Shannon, my eyes never leaving her hunched form.

I knelt beside her and reached out to grasp her shoulder. She stilled beneath my touch and slowly sat up. My breath caught when I saw her. Her face was all red and puffed up from crying, but it was her eyes that made my heart beat painfully in my chest. They were filled with so much hurt. She looked…broken, almost.

When her eyes alighted on me, I saw something like relief cross her features before she launched herself at me. She knocked me backwards with the force of it and my back hit the front of the couch, hard. I quickly rearranged myself so I was sitting back more comfortably against the couch, and pulled her into my lap. She wrapped her arms tightly around my neck, her face buried against my chest as I cradled her to me.

I heard somebody whistle quietly. My head whipped around and I narrowed my gaze on Carla who was staring at Shannon, brows raised.

“I said get the fuck out” I snarled. So much for being polite…but I knew Shannon wouldn’t want anybody seeing her like this. Fuck, what the hell was wrong?

For once I didn’t think it was anything I’d done…or was I just being stupid? No, I thought firmly. If I’d fucked up again, she wouldn’t be clinging to me like she never wanted to let go.

Carla opened her mouth to say something.

“Get. Out.” I shouted. She shot me a dark look before turning on her heel and marching out of the apartment; slamming the door behind her so hard it rattled in its frame. Self-centred bitch.

I promptly forgot all about her, focusing on the one thing I cared about. “What’s wrong, Sweetheart?” I whispered, smoothing her hair back as best I could. I still couldn’t see her face because it was buried in my hoodie. I grimaced as I remembered how wet I was. She didn’t seem to mind, or notice.

She shuddered, continuing to sob softly. I pressed kissed to the crown of her head, rocking her gently and murmuring nonsense in her ear; anything I could think of to calm her down. It didn’t work, but I was patient. I’d wait for as long as it took.

Something terrible had happened; I knew that, and yet a part of me (the extremely selfish part, of course) was just glad that I had a reason to touch her, to hold her as tightly as I’d dreamt of doing for weeks. I just didn’t want it to happen under these circumstances – whatever they may be.

I don’t know how long we sat there. Everything fell away until the only thing that was real to me was her warm body curled up in my lap. I didn’t even notice my limbs slowly growing numb – nobody ever said our floor was the most comfortable of places to sit. Even if I had noticed, I wouldn’t have moved; not until Shannon was ready. Eventually, silence fell over the room.

“Sweetheart” I whispered. “You have to tell me what’s wrong.” I didn’t want to press her; but at the same time, I needed to know. I couldn’t help her if I didn’t know what had caused this.

She pulled away from my chest, swiping a hand across her tear-stained face. My hand flexed around her knee at the sight of her. I’d do anything not to see her look like that again. Her lip trembled as she looked at me. “I got a call” she hiccupped.