Chapter 27

Chapter 27

Shannon's P.O.V:

"Let's go for a walk" I announced randomly.

Nick stopped, mid-step, halfway to his room. He slowly turned to face me, "walk?" he said it as if he'd never heard the word before.

Jeez for someone with such a ridiculously hot, ripped, muscled, yummy - I had to stop my thoughts from getting horribly side-tracked - body he sure was lazy...though in fairness to him I knew he went to the gym quite often... I had to actually shake my head to get rid of the images that suddenly popped into my mind. "Yes walk, W-A-L-K."

He just stared at me.

"Don't look so surprised that I suggested it, I do occasionally like to take exercise."

"Whatever you say" he muttered.

I glared, tempted to throw the nearest cushion at him. "Fine, well I'm going" I said standing up and grabbing my jacket which was thrown haphazardly over the back of the couch, "feel free to join me" I added.

Without another word, I walked to the door and threw it open. I took a deep breath as I quietly closed the door behind me again. I was feeling impulsive and I dreaded the thought of sitting indoors. I took a few slow steps forward, savouring the feeling as my muscles stretched and loosened. Ever since I'd moved to the city, I'd been spending too much time cooped up inside, either hunched over a desk painting or just sitting around watching TV. I'd grown up in the country, spending the majority of my time outside and it felt good to not be hurrying somewhere for once.

I'd decided last night that I was going to take the day off and just skip my classes; I couldn't face the thought of running into Natalie...or Lee for that matter. 

I smiled to myself as I started a mental countdown; 5...4...3...2...1...Right on cue, I turned back around as the door now a couple of yards behind me opened, framing Nick as he struggled to put his jacket on as quickly as possible but he just ended up getting caught up in the sleeves and the more he struggled the worse it got. He looked up and saw me waiting for him; lips twitching, and he grimaced, untangling himself carefully from the arms of the jacket and finally managing to slip it on, zipping it most of the way up.

"Need some help?" I asked in amusement, my voice carrying across the strangely still air.

He ignored me, turning to lock the door behind him before ambling over to meet me. "Not a word" he warned when I opened my mouth to make fun of him.

I settled for a smile instead, "I thought you might like to join me" I said as we began to walk.

His mouth turned down at the corners, "am I that predictable?" he sighed.

"Like clockwork" I assured him as I tilted my head back to let the weak, heatless rays from the sun shine on my face. It was by no means warm but it wasn't exactly cold either; just fresh. I found it energizing and sort of revitalising in a way.

"What are you doing for the rest of the week?" Nick asked conversationally as he absently kicked a stone along the path ahead of him.

"Mr. Allmann isn't going to be in tomorrow so I have the day off." I grimaced, "but I have to work which is a pain, what about you?"

"I have class but I probably won't go, I've decided to take a couple of rest days" he smiled slightly.

I laughed; the sound sudden and happy as it echoed around us. "Almost every day for you is a rest day Nicholas King."