Chapter 14

Chapter 14

6 Weeks Later: 31st October

Shannon's P.O.V:

I wasn't paying attention as I flicked through the rack of costumes in front of me.

This was about the fiftieth shop that Natalie had dragged me to and she still hadn't found something she liked, for either of us. I had started the day enthusiastically but after hours of walking around all of London - or it felt like it anyway - I was tired and absolutely starving. Most of the shops were a blur by this stage.

Nat had even persuaded me to go to Camden Market, but all I'd gotten from that was a tube ride stuck beside a smelly fat guy and another equally fat - and heavy - guy stamping on my foot as we were jostled by the market crowds.

Suffice it to say, I wasn't in a good mood.

A huff from behind me made me turn away from the rack of clothes to face Natalie. I raised an eyebrow in query of the pout forming on her face. "I can't find anything."

I fought a smile, "I told you the same thing about two hours ago." I rolled my eyes; "you just chose not to listen."

"How was I supposed to know you were telling the truth? You'd do anything to get out of shopping" She whined.

I started to protest, thought better of it and shut my mouth. It wasn't a good idea to argue with Natalie when she got that defiant look in her eye. "So what are we going to do?"

"I suppose we'll just have to use those French maid outfits, even though they're horribly cliché and it kills me to have to use them" she pouted. "I wanted to be unique and stand out!" she proclaimed dramatically.

I chuckled, "you know we shouldn't have left it until Halloween to get our costumes."

Without deigning to reply, Nat flounced out of the shop. I followed slowly, my foot still in pain. Besides, I knew that Natalie would eventually crack and stop to wait for me, her bad moods never lasted.

I checked my watch. It was 3 o'clock; Emma was meeting us at four at Nat's apartment to get ready.

We were going out with Robbie, Lee and their friend James who I'd met once or twice, to a club - it was Halloween after all.

Sadly that meant needing a costume.

I'd never been good at thinking of cool, creative ideas for costumes; which for an art student was pretty pathetic.

Five minutes later, I hobbled over to Natalie, who was sitting on a bench waiting for me. I grinned, she was so predictable.

She smiled sheepishly at me when I slumped down beside her, "sorry, I'm coming down with a case of Dramaqueenitis today."

"And every other day" I laughed, "it's okay, but you know we shouldn't have left it this late."

She sighed, 'I just didn't think we'd be so busy. I thought we'd have plenty of time."

"Yeah, it's only the end of October in our first year of college and we're already swamped" I sighed. Unfortunately it was true.

"Oh crap! It's almost half three, we should get going!" Natalie jumped up from the bench, turning to help me up.

She looked slyly at me out of the corner of her eye; "Sooo...Lee's going tonight."